How to drive your Gen 1 in the snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey my Gen 1 neophytes and old-farts what are the best settings for a Memphis newbie to snow, and a Gen 1?

What settings should I have on or off in the deep stuff? We got around a foot and a half in Germantown TN.

I see so much discussion for the Gen 2s but what are our best practices in the snow?!? Pic of TN snow!

AD9D1CD4-17BD-413A-92F8-64339C674CA0.jpeg B46D5945-3AF5-4C2D-8033-846128FD1EB1.jpeg

Last edited:

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I have been driving around in 4-High with differential control OFF. Just turn knob to 4-High, but don't pull out. Seems to have worked perfectly going up several very deep snow covered hilly roads.

This is ONLY good on snow covered road surfaces. From what I've read, if you hit dry pavement in 4-High in a Gen 1, you need to turn 4-Wheel drive OFF. It's not made for hard surfaces, only loose surfaces.

Am I wrong? Anyone?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been driving around in 4-High with differential control OFF. Just turn knob to 4-High, but don't pull out. Seems to have worked perfectly going up several very deep snow covered hilly roads.

This is ONLY good on snow covered road surfaces. From what I've read, if you hit dry pavement in 4-High in a Gen 1, you need to turn 4-Wheel drive OFF. It's not made for hard surfaces, only loose surfaces.

Am I wrong? Anyone?
Just don't turn too sharply in 4h on hard surfaces, if you are going straight, it's not a big deal if all the tires are the same pressure and tread depth.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Am I wrong? Anyone?
Thanks for the feedback! Good question!