How to drive your Gen 1 in the snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4H only (locking the rear for road driving only makes the back kick out too much)
Traction control off (holding the button for 5 seconds)
Just incase you didn't know that one press puts it in performance mode and a full 5 second press turns it off.
I didn’t know that. Thanks for the tip, need to read the manual.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before Christmas we got up to 3ft up here in the Alberta Rockies in spots. This area i was rocker deep.

I just turned traction control completely off and had a blast, didn't need 4H or anything. IMO having an aftermarket bumper when wheeling in such deep snow is helpful so truck isn't turned into a plow lol.

Screenshot_20210109-083910_Photos.jpg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
before Christmas we got up to 3ft up here in the Alberta Rockies in spots. This area i was rocker deep.

I just turned traction control completely off and had a blast, didn't need 4H or anything. IMO having an aftermarket bumper when wheeling in such deep snow is helpful so truck isn't turned into a plow lol.

View attachment 162182
The snow where you live and where I live are the complete opposite for traction. Wish I had your snow, its almost like driving on pavement when its been packed down. Grew up there in my teenage years, so learned to drive in the ALberta snow!

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The snow where you live and where I live are the complete opposite for traction. Wish I had your snow, its almost like driving on pavement when its been packed down. Grew up there in my teenage years, so learned to drive in the ALberta snow!

Its like sugar when its fresh and concrete when packed down haha.

Wish I had that Okanagan weather you have though!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For just getting somewhere? 2wd, no locker, traction control in sport to allow some wheel slip, will help eject snow pack and keep the engine from bogging too bad. Pop it into 4 if you get stuck, locker can help dig you out if your real stuck. The locker can cause you to push through a turn because the rear wheels are trying to push the truck straight at all times, can also cause the back end to get a lot looser than you want. Open diff is really ideal in the snow for driving around. If you have a 13/14 the torsion front can be a real pain in the snow in 4wd, truck going to want to go straight any time your under power.

4wd will often cause drivers to get over confident, forgetting the road is slick and losing touch with the road surface. Much easier to tell how slick things are in 2wd.

Fun mode? 2wd, locker, TCS off.

In a hurry? Leave it parked and calm the **** down.