How to change oil with out making a mess everywhere?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stahlbus valve is a bit different. It has an internal ball bearing that is spring loaded. To drain it, you insert the hose and 1/4 turn. When the hose isn’t in place you put a cap on it. I installed this because I have an RCI transmission skid plate and this helps keep the mess down. I can fill two 1 gallon jugs with a hose versus trying to fill them from the pan.

Are you referring to removing the front skid plate for the oil filter or Removing another skid plate to get to get to the drain plug?
Front skid plate for the oil filter, as on the gen 1 the oil drain is easy.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a gen 1 and just pull the little access panel off, Not the whole skid. That may change now as my skid plate isn’t very straight anymore. Or I’ll just got frame cut and call it a day....

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My local Wiygul shop does it for $58. FordMoCo filter and oil.

Saves my back, my garage floor, time and hot ass oil.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have removed the skid plate for every oil change since 2011. Six bolts. What's the problem?
Another solution I've used on other vehicles is to use a piece of aluminum foil to make a form fitting, single use guide for the oil to flow.
Yet another solution is to get a one-quart plastic container (milk, Gatoraid, etc.) and cut it to fit the specifics of the problem you're trying to solve.
A little Yankee ingenuity goes a long way. Always has.
I have done the same thing using light gauge sheet meal and forming it to my needs. I have not used it on my Raptor yet but it worked great on my Jeep for the oil and filter

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what procedure the service manual calls for? Does Ford recommend taking down the plate or is there something we’re missing?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks I really like the tin foil idea I think I’ll give that a try. I really don’t like the drain valve idea either definitely seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I share that concern.
I replaced the drain plugs on the engine, transmission, and transfer case with magnetic drain plugs. Replaced the fill plug on the front differential with a magnetic plug also, and replaced the rear differential cover with an aftermarket unit that has a magnetic drain plug and a magnetic tip on the dipstick. They work!
(hint, hint)

Crosby

Reaction score
Exactly what Braaaaptor said. Remove the large skid plate for 1st change and then you can get a funnel up to the drain plug. Fumoto valves are a game changer. I used the F107N M12-1.75 Model and it works great. It has a barbed end to put a 3/8 hose on , so the oil drains directly into whatever you are using to catch the oil.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always keep a roll of heavy duty Reynolds wrap around just for stuff like this. Double it up and it works great for a custom shaped funnels. Toss it when you're done. A lot of bikes are a real mess also, if you don't do something like this.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I share that concern.
I replaced the drain plugs on the engine, transmission, and transfer case with magnetic drain plugs. Replaced the fill plug on the front differential with a magnetic plug also, and replaced the rear differential cover with an aftermarket unit that has a magnetic drain plug and a magnetic tip on the dipstick. They work!
(hint, hint)
That is really a great idea, funny how it is standard on certain manufactures but how do you know?

Where you able to buy this as a kit or individual parts? all from the same manufacture?