(How To) Aftermarket Transmission Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am planning on mounting and installing an Aftermarket Transmission Cooler.
9ffb5df3b821b6e88f518ba859e0fd23.jpg

Will be mounting it in front of the radiator something similar to what Outlaw Raptor do on their Aftermarket coolers.
d50df7aad6ed71868ba897ac6e9ea5dc.jpg

Reason I am going to install these cooler is because when going off-roading to the Mountains and pushing this baby throttle a little deep, the Trans Temps will rise quite easily to the red line, and I don't want to be decelerating every 2 mins. for the trans to cool down a bit.

The Mounting is not a problem, what I am concerned is what's the best way to plug it into the system? remove factory cooler or just add it after the factory cooler?

If someone can Help or done this before I will be glad to hear any insight and suggestions.
I Will also change the transmission oil to Lucas Gear Oil.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats how the aftermarket ones are, they just tie into the line of the factory one once you remove it and if the trans gets hot a lot and easily, try swapping the fluid too i did that and a trans cooler and havnt had an issue.

OP
OP
jcl48

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats how the aftermarket ones are, they just tie into the line of the factory one once you remove it and if the trans gets hot a lot and easily, try swapping the fluid too i did that and a trans cooler and havnt had an issue.
Thanks for the Insight I will do it like that.
Will also take pictures when doing the inatall so all you can see my setup and someone else may benefit.
JCL48,
Lucas gear oil is just that...not for auto transmissions...you need Lucas ATF...

Multi-Vehicle ATF
Eddie
Yes, my mistake I meant ATF.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see the box has a picture of a fan on it, but if it doesn't,
you might what to think about a fan for it with an automatic temperature relay.
The OEM radiator fans only kick in at 208 to 210 and my not even draw air though it if you have to much space between the two radiators.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcl48

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the box has a picture of a fan on it, but if it doesn't,
you might what to think about a fan for it with an automatic temperature relay.
The OEM radiator fans only kick in at 208 to 210 and my not even draw air though it if you have to much space between the two radiators.
I see your point. It does have the Radiator fan 8" and it also has an inline temperature relay (Thermostat) that kicks in the fan at 180° if when testing it I see that I need the fans to kick in at lower temps, I might go ahead and exchange the relay for the fans to kick in at lower temps, or might be adding a 2nd cooler (Don't know if its OK to add a 2nd one due to Oil pressure)

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What configuration is the unit setup as? Is the fan pushing or pulling?

I wish my Whipple HD HE system was setup for pulling, I believe it would be more efficient.
Not much air gets through the condenser and radiator after going through the big ass HE.
It bounces off more then comes through. this is why I have my OEM radiator fans come on sooner at 180
I wanted 160 but the Tuner would not do it until I get some dyno time in.
And to try and change it means some serious modification to the brackets and then I would need reverse the fans polarity.
Also the fans would be very close the condenser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcl48

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What configuration is the unit setup as? Are the fans pushing or pulling?
I have no idea will be testing the fans before installation. I will check tonight inside the box if it comes with some Specs or something.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
maybe u could even put in an over ride switch so u can just turn the fan on constantly for those mountain runs and when just cruising or on other runs the thermostat will kick the fan on.

OP
OP
jcl48

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe u could even put in an over ride switch so u can just turn the fan on constantly for those mountain runs and when just cruising or on other runs the thermostat will kick the fan on.
Yes, that's a great idea. Thanks will be looking into what switch and how to wire the temp relay to use benefits you are suggesting me.