How long do OEM rear shocks last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 17/18 take-offs seem like a good deal if you can find them for $300.

I had 46K miles on my 2010 Gen 1 when I sold it last month and my shocks were still in good shape. I did not abuse the truck, but I did a fair amount of off-roading and towing over the last 8 years. The buyer even commented how well he thought the truck drove on the factory shocks...

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounted the new shocks today. Took about 45 minutes with basic hand tools, crawling on the floor and most of that time was getting the new shocks compressed and aligned to slot into the lower mount. I just used a jack and a pry bar to work the shock into the mount. If I had a lift, this would have been a 20 minute job.

1a7dbe1720fbf8b1e6277c7063e2f61f.jpg891e7e7802f7d3125c67e8e4bd2418ab.jpg

Last edited:

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm at 40k and my OEM rear shocks feel spongy and worn to me on the butt dyno. Background - I tow a lot and have added a leaf to the rear stack to carry some of the load.

Is it reasonable to expect stock shocks to be done at this point? Love the ride quality of the stock truck so will go with the same OEM shocks as replacements.

Just wanted to check to see if someone would say "no way, these should last 100k your problem is something else in the rear end" before I pulled the trigger. Thanks all.
On my Gen 1 they lasted 120K before they went, but I've heard of them going out at 20-30k. Believe me you will know when they are done. The handling totally goes away, and the truck bounces like there are no shocks on it at all. Also replaced shocks all the way around for 480 a piece - OEM replacements from rock auto, best deal I found. Also this truck isn't really meant to be a tow vehicle, used mine maybe 6 times for towing and it was like a 2500 lb trailer and 2 Harleys, so total of like 4500 lbs. It did ok but still not ideal.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
There are youtube videos on how to rebuild the shocks. It looks fairly simple, however the ones I viewed you need to fab a T handle wrench and buy the parts like Northraptor2 mentioned, a nitrogen bottle & regulator if you don't already have that. I was selling my truck so I just put the new ones on since they look crisp instead of 7 yrs of grunge.

Northraptor2

Reaction score
There are youtube videos on how to rebuild the shocks. It looks fairly simple, however the ones I viewed you need to fab a T handle wrench and buy the parts like Northraptor2 mentioned, a nitrogen bottle & regulator if you don't already have that. I was selling my truck so I just put the new ones on since they look crisp instead of 7 yrs of grunge.
This is correct. You will also need access to a welder to fabricate the tool for pulling the piston.
You can probably buy the tool but I couldn't find one in my town.
Also need the wrench for taking the cap off the shock too.