How long do OEM rear shocks last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm at 40k and my OEM rear shocks feel spongy and worn to me on the butt dyno. Background - I tow a lot and have added a leaf to the rear stack to carry some of the load.

Is it reasonable to expect stock shocks to be done at this point? Love the ride quality of the stock truck so will go with the same OEM shocks as replacements.

Just wanted to check to see if someone would say "no way, these should last 100k your problem is something else in the rear end" before I pulled the trigger. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If used for strictly street use, FOX recommends a complete shock service at 50K miles, so I would say you are ready given the amount of towing you do.

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If used for strictly street use, FOX recommends a complete shock service at 50K miles, so I would say you are ready given the amount of towing you do.

they don't need replacement, they can be rebuilt.

Thanks both. I did a lot of wheeling last year, but last 20k miles have been all street and half of that has been towing.

I see take-offs from 17/18 raptors online for $300, so I will just buy them instead of going the rebuild route. Lot easier and lot less downtime to unbolt and bolt, for that price.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct; they can be rebuilt. See link below for pricing. I haven't done it yet, so you will want to consult with others on what exactly needs to be done and the best place to do it (I believe having them done by FOX takes much longer and costs more?).

https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=offroad

To piggy back off your thread, I have installed the Geiser springs up front and Deaver +3s in the rear. I want to keep both sets of springs, but I am curious if FOX has a set of shocks that will work with my current setup, but have adjustment knobs for compression and maybe rebound?

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fox will rebuild as long as you are out of your warranty.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

PCDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive run mine hard for 85k and they work fine.

It may just be your leaf springs, the stock leafs are crap. I have a new 18 coming next week and I will immediately replace the leaf springs with Deavers.

Last edited:

sobiloff

Reaction score
I see take-offs from 17/18 raptors online for $300, so I will just buy them instead of going the rebuild route. Lot easier and lot less downtime to unbolt and bolt, for that price.

Not sure why you'd buy used shocks for $300 a pair when you can get yours serviced to like-new condition from Fox for only $230 a pair?

Now, having said that, it sucks to have your truck up on jack stands while you're waiting for Fox to turn them around—as you point out. In that case you can go with Forged Racing's program: they'll send you a set of rebuilt shocks and charge you a deposit on your current shocks which gets refunded when they receive your original shocks. This costs you $550 for all four shocks, which is a little more than the cost from Fox, but it gets your truck back in service a lot faster and you can order a bunch of nice shock upgrades at the same time, if you're so inclined.

(Note that I haven't used either Fox or Forged yet, but with 30K miles and a fair amount of off-road and heavy towing I'm going to be due for a rebuild soon, too, so I'm researching the options.)

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd buy used shocks for $300 a pair when you can get yours serviced to like-new condition from Fox for only $230 a pair?

Now, having said that, it sucks to have your truck up on jack stands while you're waiting for Fox to turn them around—as you point out. In that case you can go with Forged Racing's program: they'll send you a set of rebuilt shocks and charge you a deposit on your current shocks which gets refunded when they receive your original shocks. This costs you $550 for all four shocks, which is a little more than the cost from Fox, but it gets your truck back in service a lot faster and you can order a bunch of nice shock upgrades at the same time, if you're so inclined.

(Note that I haven't used either Fox or Forged yet, but with 30K miles and a fair amount of off-road and heavy towing I'm going to be due for a rebuild soon, too, so I'm researching the options.)

Hey thanks for the suggestion, always good to keep track of options out there.

I have been around race suspension long enough to know that not everyone knows what they are doing. Just because someone offers a rebuild service doesn't automatically mean its done right. Suspension is one of those real dark arts. If going with a rebuild service, I'd want to invest some time to truly vette and lookup the reputation of the shop. And for takeoffs going for $300, it's a no-brainer to save me the time to research shops, ship it out and wait etc..

In general, if the price is the same or similar, I'd always buy OEM replacements over rebuilding any component.