How Long Can/Will Your Gen1 Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't know why the OP is doing the coyote swap, but it certainly has merit...
Coyote is 200 lbs lighter, I would love to pull 200lbs off the nose of this piggy
Coyote has a huge aftermarket, cams, blowers, turbos on and on. Gen 2+ have sinter forged rods and pistons and are happy at 700whp in an f150
A gen 3 coyote makes almost 50 more HP and only 12 fewer ft lbs, plus revs to 7k.
Less fuel consumption
The 4 valve noise (although the 6.2l makes it's own delicious sound)

If you are backing a gen 3 coyote with the 10 speed it will outrun a 6.2l everywhere.

And no, I am not a 6.2l hater and I wouldn't do it myself... But I do have a gen 2 coyote in a project truck and it is a spectacular engine.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are backing a gen 3 coyote with the 10 speed it will outrun a 6.2l everywhere.

Ten speed vs 6 gears. Not a very fair comparison.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

That's only true to a point. There are a ton of 2 speed powerglide cars that run 7 sec quarter mile times. If you have enough power, you don't need that many gears. More gears are always mechanically advantageous, but it does take time to shift gears if you are talking flat out acceleration.

I think a 10 speed is just about right as far of number of gear options vs shift frequency for normal driving though. I

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ok, any mustang coyote with the 6r80 will outrun it everywhere except 0-25mph. By then the coyote is in its power band, and the weight difference combined with the increased horsepower will allow the coyote to freight train the 6.2l. The 6r80 is a 4.17 1st and the 10 is a 4.70, the 10 speed is a good way to make up for the lost torque under the curve. When you really start pushing hard horsepower wins out. And if you have spent much time pushing off road you will know that third in the 6r80 is way too long, it wants another gear even in the 6.2l.

I cannot fathom a world where someone would go to the effort of making all the electronics to run the 5.0 marry up and not take advantage of the 10 speed. If you are going through that nightmare get everything you can out of it.

The biggest downfall of the SVT is their fat *****, any thing you can do to reduce weight is good. Especially in the nose. Mine scales at 6600 without me in it... and the weight distribution is terrible. A fully dressed coyote with a 3.8l whipple doesn't weigh what a 6.2l does without the accessories attached.

That said, I would still opt for a warmed over 7.3l gasser with a 10r140, the area under the curve is going to be the best thing going for one of these piggies. Engine is lighter, trans is heavier, but at least the trans is a little bit back from the front axle.

Last edited:

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's only true to a point. There are a ton of 2 speed powerglide cars that run 7 sec quarter mile times. If you have enough power, you don't need that many gears. More gears are always mechanically advantageous, but it does take time to shift gears if you are talking flat out acceleration.

I think a 10 speed is just about right as far of number of gear options vs shift frequency for normal driving though. I
Now you are getting into the relm of pure drag racing. Your example is not very streetable. Not likely to see Raptors in that situation. Occasional street racing or red light challenges are more applicable.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, any mustang coyote with the 6r80 will outrun it everywhere except 0-25mph. By then the coyote is in its power band, and the weight difference combined with the increased horsepower will allow the coyote to freight train the 6.2l. The 6r80 is a 4.17 1st and the 10 is a 4.70, the 10 speed is a good way to make up for the lost torque under the curve. When you really start pushing hard horsepower wins out. And if you have spent much time pushing off road you will know that third in the 6r80 is way to long, it wants another gear even in the 6.2l.

The biggest downfall of the SVT is their fat *****, any thing you can do to reduce weight is good. Especially in the nose.

You are comparing a Mustang to a 6,000 pound truck. Wow.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are comparing a Mustang to a 6,000 pound truck. Wow.
I am not comparing a mustang to anything. i am talking strictly power numbers. 6600 lb truck.

Gen 1 mustang coyote engine 412 hp
Gen 2 mustang coyote engine 430 hp
Gen 3 mustang coyote engine 460 hp

Difference between the car and truck is exhaust cam profile and manifold design.

VVT, Variable runner length, compression. All these things make up where displacement is lost.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now you are getting into the relm of pure drag racing. Your example is not very streetable. Not likely to see Raptors in that situation. Occasional street racing or red light challenges are more applicable.
I am not talking drag racing anything. I am talking about 3000 RPM and beyond. The coyote has more than enough torque to move one of these trucks stop light to stop light. There is nothing not streetable about an engine that makes 350+ ft lbs from 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He's talking about the Powerglide comment.

I'm simply using that as an counter example to your "more gears is always gonna win" mantra. You are not accelerating during a shift.

Of course nobody is putting a Powerglide in a Raptor.