How Long Can/Will Your Gen1 Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BEN

The new cars and trucks are essentially stuck with the drivetrain they come with for life. Without MAJOR modifications to every system in the entire vehicle you simply are not doing what you are imagining. There will some random shop that does it at some point, and the odd few individuals with a ton of time or money on their hands- but changing the drivetrain of a Gen 1 Raptor (or 2 or 3) is essentially impossible for your a typical auto enthusiast with a nicely stocked garage and toolbox- which I'm pretty sure is who you are talking about doing such a swap.
Here comes the fun police! Killer of dreams! LOL

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow. Somebody touched a Nerve here. Lol.. Either way no matter how much you want to look into this. THERE'S NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISSPLACEMENT.

This statement is such a fallacy.

Of course there is, technology is one route, efficiency is one route, forced induction is one route.

Or combine them like ford did in the 3.5l and you get a tiny little factory motor that produces more torque and WAY more horsepower than the ford 7.5l (460).

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's rt though. I saw an episode on Gas Monkey where they tried to put a modern Hell Cat engine in a 72 Challenger, they got it done but what they went through makes it just not worth it. Rebuild whats in there originally or get a new one from Ford is the way to go. Plus you get a 100,000 mile warranty if you buy a 6.2L engine from Ford. I asked my local Dealership out of curiosity and it came to 7 grand including labor. Only problem is now your truck is no longer a numbers matching vehicle if that matters to ya. As for me I would just rebuild to keep her fresh and add a few extra ponies during the process and hand it over to my son some day

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dint think my statement was a fallacy. Just my opinion. But there's No denying the reliability of the 6.2L. I've seen soooo many problems on here with the 3.5 and yes I know there are people that haven't had any. But when anyone compares proven reliability the 6.2 wins in that area

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dint think my statement was a fallacy. Just my opinion. But there's No denying the reliability of the 6.2L. I've seen soooo many problems on here with the 3.5 and yes I know there are people that haven't had any. But when anyone compares proven reliability the 6.2 wins in that area
It does win there, hands down.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Technology will change, and there are some way above average enthusiasts out there. Someone will eventually hack the BCM and the average guy will be able to put whatever they want in.

In fact, if you have an early gen 1 it really isn't a problem at all, just have to rewire the power window switches, put in aftermarket gauges and AC and you can run whatever you want. The rest gets deleted in the swap. The engine power management from the swap engine (carburetor, control pack, whatever) now controls the engine, trans and gauges.

Even the 10 way heated cooled seats from the 13+ arent a problem. I butchered out the wiring on a set of king ranches to get all the controls to work with nothing but a power and ground, you can see them in the photos on my "other vehicles" thread. My brother built a raspberry pi that controls the heat and cool functions.

There is no such thing as a vehicle that "cant" be engine swapped. Just takes tenacity. Plasma torch and a welder help as well.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He's rt though. I saw an episode on Gas Monkey where they tried to put a modern Hell Cat engine in a 72 Challenger, they got it done but what they went through makes it just not worth it. Rebuild whats in there originally or get a new one from Ford is the way to go. Plus you get a 100,000 mile warranty if you buy a 6.2L engine from Ford. I asked my local Dealership out of curiosity and it came to 7 grand including labor. Only problem is now your truck is no longer a numbers matching vehicle if that matters to ya. As for me I would just rebuild to keep her fresh and add a few extra ponies during the process and hand it over to my son some day

Roadkill did one in a 68. You can tell they started having problems with the Dodge (fiat) interface. If you wanted to be simple there is a gen 3 hemi carb intake!. Stick a set of turbo's and a carb on a hellcat and it would come to life with no nanny state controls :). Or run the Hellcat on a full standalone system. Megasquirt has all the outputs to handle one, holley may have a solution as well.

I can tell you the 16 mustang coyote in my 78 runs like a top though. Ford did a great job making them swap friendly, their control pack makes it a bolt in and go deal. Engine and trans mounts are same as the 6.2l so it really would be a direct swap other than the BCM overrides.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This statement is such a fallacy.

Of course there is, technology is one route, efficiency is one route, forced induction is one route.

Or combine them like ford did in the 3.5l and you get a tiny little factory motor that produces more torque and WAY more horsepower than the ford 7.5l (460).
It's not necessarily a fallacy, it's more that it depends on your goal in the end with the powerplant you are putting together.
Aim low for 250 hp and yes you can either make a very small displacement motor with forced induction or some other power adder or a larger displacement engine but there is a point at which your goal will go beyond what a particular displacement could achieve. No one with current technology can make a 10,000 hp motor with a displacement of 1500cc, we do it with 500 cu in hemi's in top fuel motors with superchargers that have a parasitic loss of a wrx sti. In the case of the raptor there are plenty of different ways to get to 400-600 hp to push our boat anchors along but it's highly unlikely to see a desirable torque and hp curve out of a boosted to the moon 2.5l screamer with current technology. Just my .02

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BEN

Problem with Tesla motor swaps and the like is they have (and will likely continue to have) that **** on lockdown. There are PLENTY of wrecked Teslas, but you just don't see any swaps happening.

We will need stand alone motor controllers and battery packs to re-use the motors in junk EVs. Otherwise you are trying to swap it all. Every sensor, wire, the OE battery, the dash. Without every part happy and talking to each other, none of it will work as designed, and even then, if it can phone home- it may brick itself.

Consider something as simple as putting a Ford 10 speed in a Gen 1 Raptor. Ford puts the 10 speed behind the 6.2L in F350s right now. It bolts right up- but how do you control it? How do you make it play nice with the Gen 1 hill descent, etc... The answer is you don't. You can't run the new stuff, since it won't control your old stuff- and vice versa. Run both? 10 years back it used to be common to do a piggy back EFI system to run the engine only, and leave the ECU to run everything else- but that don't fly nowadays with everything on a common databus.

The new cars and trucks are essentially stuck with the drivetrain they come with for life. Without MAJOR modifications to every system in the entire vehicle you simply are not doing what you are imagining. There will some random shop that does it at some point, and the odd few individuals with a ton of time or money on their hands- but changing the drivetrain of a Gen 1 Raptor (or 2 or 3) is essentially impossible for your a typical auto enthusiast with a nicely stocked garage and toolbox- which I'm pretty sure is who you are talking about doing such a swap.

Your welcome.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...rate-motor-ev-conversion-small-block-v-8/amp/E6004AE2-44BE-4263-A16E-96FAC1685627.jpeg

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score