How important is the torsen front diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
My last truck was a 2012 Power Wagon. I only needed the front locker two different times, but when I did it was a huge blessing. The Torsen Front Diff was not a negotiable option for me.

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to see what the capabilities are without it as I am still learning off-road stuff. If I get to the point where I feel I need it at least I know I can add it later for about 1500. I really wanted a scab and an 800a so my options were very limited.

crashmc302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a second 800a raptor and the only one I can find doesn’t have it. Mine doesn’t either but I wasn’t aware of the option at the time I purchased mine.
Idk if you have looked already, but Ford Performance sells the whole limited slip Torsen diff for $850. I buried the ass end of my truck in deep sand and got mad because my front end stopped doing all that fancy 4WD stuff. I didn't turn the Off-Road mode on, just turned the traction control "off". It stopped sending any power to the front. I'm hoping it's that and not a broken transfer case. Either way, wasn't a failure of not having a front end locked or using limited slip, but it got me thinking. Did some searching, came across that.

It doesn't work for me because I've got 4.88:1 gearing and that diff will come with stock (4.10:1). So I'm looking at other options, like the Auburn Gear Select-a-Lock. I hear it's not a true locker because the method it uses to go from limited slip to locker is like a clutch pack, so it'll eventually wear out. Hopefully guys have some experience with it, but if you're not looking for a locker then the Ford Performance "drop-in" option may work.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk