How important is the torsen front diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at getting a second 800a raptor and the only one I can find doesn’t have it. Mine doesn’t either but I wasn’t aware of the option at the time I purchased mine.

OP
OP
Socalbeachbum

Socalbeachbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very minimal. Big bear trip. A few desert runs, and fire roads. Maybe 3-4 times a year with friends. I’m fairly new to the 4x4 world.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd say you don't need it. I've gone lots of places in lesser vehicles with open front diffs. Learn it's limits and you can go farther than you would think

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Unless you're doing a bunch of rock crawling, you probably won't know any difference, in fact may be better when driving in 4auto on slick roads. The LS front tends to try and jerk the wheel a bit when getting on the gas around a sharp turn.
Rear locker is all you'll need to get out of a jam most of the time.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably add some kind of a Detroit True Trac diff to the front of you wanted to, but it’ll cost far more than the $500 it costs on a new truck. I have been crawling with a dual ARB locker equipped truck for many years and definitely wanted the Torsion diff in my Raptor. I don’t plan on rock crawling my raptor, but I like the idea of the front pulling more coming out of turns at speed on dirt roads.

I agree with GCATX that the Torsion may make things harder on slick or snow covered roads, but I’d rather have it than not have it. I do live in snow country and will find out. I’m guessing all of the electronic systems in the truck will keep it sorted out.