How did you come to afford your raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Commercial real estate brokerage (100% commission) and residential landlord.

3.5 years ago I was broke, literally being threatened with eviction from my small apartment after a major "life change" and move to a new city at 48. My power got shut off around the same time and I barely had enough to turn it back on. Really sucked, and really shameful at that age.

The Prius in my profile pic was mine at the time. Just worked really, really hard. I can pay off the Raptor now if I want but the $$ is cheap. I was able to write a five figure check when I bought it. Most all of my debt is paid off now.

The experience has rewired my brain and now that awful feeling never really goes away: I still often believe I'm literally two weeks away from being on the street again. I still buy cheap everything: groceries, shoes, clothes. Wasn't like that before all this happened.

If you really put your mind to something you really can do extraordinary things.

Last edited:

TopElement

Full Access Member
Reaction score
work>make money>trade money for truck

Yup, pretty simple formula. This is a funny thread, considering we're just talking about F150 trucks here and people are acting like it's a multi million $ vehicle.

Make wise financial moves and buying a Raptor is an afterthought. My approach is have a solid job with a nice salary and equity shares in the company, hold real estate that is paying for itself and even makes a few bucks each month, and hold a handful of stocks that climb year after year.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is in the GEN2 side, but I'll respond anyway.

My GEN1 only cost $41,000 plus tax, so it was really no more expensive than any other vehicle I would have chosen at the time. I did a great deal of research and had the market narrowed down between a Raptor and a Toyota FJ Cruiser, and the price difference between the two wasn't very significant. It was a no-brainer, really.

My Raptor was the first vehicle I ever bought that I didn't have to make some kind of compromise to afford it. It's a very fine vehicle at any price, and the price wasn't prohibitive in the slightest.

chuckycastle

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a quick year-long stint in Kosovo a couple of years ago. I knew I was going to get a Raptor when I got back as a “thank you for your service” gift to myself. I’ve worked tech for a while and landed a job at a company that paid me the difference between my regular salary and my base pay as an E8 with 16 years. Between the additional non-base pay money and ordering through MAS, I got a great price ($69k) and pulled the trigger.

UrbanMenace

Reaction score
I crashed and totaled a ZL1 camaro in a rain storm. Luckily I had over insured the Camaro a couple weeks before my long delayed Raptor order arrived at the dealership. I'm real happy with the insurance settlement. 2019 Raptor purchase complete. Bonus: I can drive the Raptor with cargo on bumpy paved roads faster and more comfortably minimizing commute time. None of that damn alcantara fabric in the truck either.

subterfuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd Truck. Wish I invested the money instead. Paid off the truck a few months after purchase. Decided if I die serving this country I might as well enjoy the money today since tomorrow isn't promised. Almost 10 years active duty. Debt free after many bad decisions. No house yet.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm... I wouldn't be able to afford this truck in my home country with the job I have. I owe it to American capitalism and its dynamic (automotive industry is dirt cheap here compared to Europe, to the extend that cars built in Germany, where I'm from, are cheaper here imported than they are in Germany out of the factory). My corporate career has thus far been successful, sometimes luckily, sometimes with hard work. It allowed me to own a Raptor and a M4 Competition (gotta honor that heritage somehow)...