how are your 9.75 rears doing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just my option but if you put a timken in it you will never have to do it again. Bought a new cargo Traler 16 years ago. The first day pulled all the hubs and, put Timken in. 300k + now!!! I have never done any thing to them but grease once a year in the Bering Buddys.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok......Mine are not Doing so well. I put a new spicer cover on and there seams to have been a LOT of trauma in there in the past. I assume from the axel rap days. The E locker has scars on it from contact with the pinion. I am Thinking Yukon ? For the locker, ring, pinion, timken bearings. Any other Brand I should consider? Well not Bering those will be Timken. I really only want to do it once. so not trying to save money.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been curious what would be involved with replacing the e locker with something like a Detroit?? Not that I want to, need to, and hopefully don't. Just wondering what else is effected and would have to be done to keep warning lights off, codes from appearing, or ******** up any "systems". Is it a common "swap/upgrade" many or anyone done it? TIA

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The e locker is way superior for something that is going to be driven on the street. IMO I would consider the Detroit a down grade.
Mine works…. it just has a lot of Internal injuries from when the axel perch was bad. And the monkeys couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Just kept letting the owner of the truck drive it.
Don’t worry……. the pinion is only hitting the carrier it will be fine.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been curious what would be involved with replacing the e locker with something like a Detroit?? Not that I want to, need to, and hopefully don't. Just wondering what else is effected and would have to be done to keep warning lights off, codes from appearing, or ******** up any "systems". Is it a common "swap/upgrade" many or anyone done it? TIA
A detroit locker isn't an upgrade. Its a change to make a change.

It has a time and a place. A Raptor is probably neither.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just turned over 200K on my mostly well running 2010, and have a new job that's a 150 mile commute every day, and once I realized where it was coming from, I've had an ever increasing in loudness whine coming out of my rear end. Crawled under after one of my long commutes, and figured it was likely an axle bearing going, but both housing tubes at the ends were cold, but oh boy, yeah my rear end cover was pretty hot. I checked the fluid level on my lunch hour, and it was good, which I had put in about a year and a half ago when I swapped in a better rear end cover.... let a little drip out and didn't notice any obvious tell tale glitter, but I still need to pull the cover and get a better look see.... Anyone else have any rear end bearing or gear issues? I don't drag race the truck, the only time I've ever blown up rear ends, so I'm assuming it's just wear and tear.... Hoping it holds out for the rest of the month until I can get around to fixing it... the whine is pretty loud inside the truck, and gets louder every day. Wish it had a 9" instead of the 9.75, then swapping out another pumpkin would be easy, but alas... nope.
My 2020 had to have the rear end rebuilt twice in 50k miles, but im not sure the second rebuild wasn't caused by flat rate mechanics rushing through the job. Apparently getting good bearing now days is an issue. Pinion bearings failed initially. Differential was a non issue. No abuse, 98% highway miles.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After searching here. The axel on a 2014 are a 35 spline? Anyone have thoughts on brands.... for the Carrier/e locker and gears? Am I the guinea pig?

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2020 had to have the rear end rebuilt twice in 50k miles, but im not sure the second rebuild wasn't caused by flat rate mechanics rushing through the job. Apparently getting good bearing now days is an issue. Pinion bearings failed initially. Differential was a non issue. No abuse, 98% highway miles.
I had mine done twice in about a 2 month span. The first shop did warranty on it after a noise arose less than 2k miles of completion, and its been good for about 10k.

There are plenty of bearings available, its just dependent on what brand you want. Sourcing certain brands can be problematic.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had mine done twice in about a 2 month span. The first shop did warranty on it after a noise arose less than 2k miles of completion, and its been good for about 10k.

There are plenty of bearings available, its just dependent on what brand you want. Sourcing certain brands can be problematic.
Did you have ring/pinion done?????? What brand?????

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have ring/pinion done?????? What brand?????
Everything in the rear end was replaced. Carrier, Ring, Pinion, all bearings, etc....

Original batch of bearings were Yukon I believe as they were immediately available. Replacement was Dana/Motorcraft and Timken.