how are your 9.75 rears doing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ratty

Reaction score
just turned over 200K on my mostly well running 2010, and have a new job that's a 150 mile commute every day, and once I realized where it was coming from, I've had an ever increasing in loudness whine coming out of my rear end. Crawled under after one of my long commutes, and figured it was likely an axle bearing going, but both housing tubes at the ends were cold, but oh boy, yeah my rear end cover was pretty hot. I checked the fluid level on my lunch hour, and it was good, which I had put in about a year and a half ago when I swapped in a better rear end cover.... let a little drip out and didn't notice any obvious tell tale glitter, but I still need to pull the cover and get a better look see.... Anyone else have any rear end bearing or gear issues? I don't drag race the truck, the only time I've ever blown up rear ends, so I'm assuming it's just wear and tear.... Hoping it holds out for the rest of the month until I can get around to fixing it... the whine is pretty loud inside the truck, and gets louder every day. Wish it had a 9" instead of the 9.75, then swapping out another pumpkin would be easy, but alas... nope.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 14 Supercharged truck ate a rear end at 80k. LOL. Trying to force 600hp through an open diff will eventually destroy the spider gear shafts.
With 200k miles it probably is getting loud.
It may not have issues yet, but I am sure there is a lot more play in the ring/pinion with 13 years of use. Is it really getting louder every day, or are you just super aware of it now?
Z

OP
OP
ratty

ratty

Reaction score
My 14 Supercharged truck ate a rear end at 80k. LOL. Trying to force 600hp through an open diff will eventually destroy the spider gear shafts.
With 200k miles it probably is getting loud.
It may not have issues yet, but I am sure there is a lot more play in the ring/pinion with 13 years of use. Is it really getting louder every day, or are you just super aware of it now?
Z
oh yeah, getting loud enough that I have to turn the radio up louder now.... at first it was just one of those, 'Where's the sound coming from?', and now it's like, 'Crap I hope this doesn't eat itself on the highway, I can't afford this at all right now and I even let my AAA membership lapse'... Yeah, I'm guessing it's my pinion bearing, as it's a constant whining, in the straights, in the turns, decelerating, accelerating, it doesn't matter.... it's non-stop.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2010 , whipple . 4.88 gears 37s . gear swap in 2013 . 2020 started hearing a noise , had some play in driveshaft U joint . Swapped stock one back in noise was gone . drove around block . Launched full throttle near my house and broke some teeth . Made it back home in 4wd 2mph . SDHQ did a full rebuild on it .

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 54

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
oh yeah, getting loud enough that I have to turn the radio up louder now.... at first it was just one of those, 'Where's the sound coming from?', and now it's like, 'Crap I hope this doesn't eat itself on the highway, I can't afford this at all right now and I even let my AAA membership lapse'... Yeah, I'm guessing it's my pinion bearing, as it's a constant whining, in the straights, in the turns, decelerating, accelerating, it doesn't matter.... it's non-stop.
my 2011 with 210k miles on it whines like a ****... HAs not changed in years though

OP
OP
ratty

ratty

Reaction score
2010 , whipple . 4.88 gears 37s . gear swap in 2013 . 2020 started hearing a noise , had some play in driveshaft U joint . Swapped stock one back in noise was gone . drove around block . Launched full throttle near my house and broke some teeth . Made it back home in 4wd 2mph . SDHQ did a full rebuild on it .
broke some teeth? more like eviscerated your ring gear... holy crap you destroyed that

OP
OP
ratty

ratty

Reaction score
well, decided to change the gear lube even though I did it about 2 years ago... pulled the cover, and everything looked great, no obvious sign of any damage at all, ring gear, pinion, and spider gears look in surprisingly good shape for a truck that's over 200K miles. No obvious metal glitter in the lube either.... Gonna jack the beast up and check the bearings and U-joint next....

OP
OP
ratty

ratty

Reaction score
Follow-up on this issue... u-joints are fine, outer axle bearings are fine, ring and pinion and spider gears look perfect... Still can't figure out where the whine comes from. The whine was pretty loud for awhile, but lately it changes in volume, sometimes it's loud, most of the time is just audible, other times it's hardly noticeable. I commute 150 miles a day 3 days a week so I put over 3,000 miles on it just since I posted this thread and so far nothing has failed... Will re-visit this thread if something breaks, but so far it's just an annoyance..

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the inner pinion bearing on my 2013 at 125,000. Went ahead and replaced outer at the same time. No issues with it since, and it's currently sitting at 210,000 miles.

It sounded exactly as you describe it, but it did have a little bit of glitter in the fluid. Really isn't too bad to change if you've got a lift and a 3/4'' torque wrench. From what I remember (it's been a few years since I changed it), the Ford dealer gave me the inner bearing they said was correct, but it was too small. I ended up going to the local bearing shop with the old one and they were able to cross reference it to the correct Timken part.