Houston we have a problem! (the bent frame thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Yup, frame/bump stop kit + hard offroading will give you bed spread fer sher. Not sure if it happens with all kits but with a Stage 3 it's going to happen.

I haven't gotten the bed spread on either of my trucks with bump stop kits on. I also keep things tied down in the bed using all four corners of the bed. I have talked with a few other guys that also use the strap points in the bed and they do not have issues either. Whatever the reason, I am going to make sure to strap the bed together very time I go out...maybe that will help prevent the spread.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't gotten the bed spread on either of my trucks with bump stop kits on. I also keep things tied down in the bed using all four corners of the bed. I have talked with a few other guys that also use the strap points in the bed and they do not have issues either. Whatever the reason, I am going to make sure to strap the bed together very time I go out...maybe that will help prevent the spread.

When it's my DD, I have the rack out of the bed. I use a strap across the opening of the bed using the strap points. I can get that sucker tight and it cinches the bed right up to the tailgate. Keeps things tight and it's under my bakflip (cause the rack is out)

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Which kit/stops do you have?

Btw, several of us have asked for a way to prevent it from happening when off-roading (short of running a gate.) If it's as simple as a ratchet strap (I have serious doubts about this) that's good to know.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must be babying it. :fishing1:

In all seriousness. At first I wasn't too concerned about the spread, but over time I've come to realize that it affects the ability to secure my bed cover, use a cap in the future and ultimately the value of the truck. If I had to choose between a bent frame and bed spread I guess I'd lean towards the spread but it's a tough call. At least the bent frame can be corrected. That's the other thing, I'm curious if anyone knows if the spread can be corrected. I know that it can be corrected with a strap as long as the strap stays on but that's not ideal for loading/unloading the bed.

I'd also really like to hear from someone who knows why this is occurring.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Outlaw makes a bolt-in kit to help prevent the bed spread... and it's only like $200? Nice too, with removable pins, etc.

Haven't seen mine spread, however my frame has been BEEFED up far beyond a stock truck:

d8d2cbd1.jpg

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have "bed spread" and miss alignment of the cab and bed line. top of bed line to cab is wider. I have had bump stops on my truck since day 1. I think its due to bed "sag" in the rear of the bed due to the bottom of the bed edges sagging from hard off roading more so hard rear hits. I can't say if it is from the bump stops, but I did change the denrail pads, changed the pressure, and it seem to be less harsh on SHARP hits to the rear, and the stops still return fast enough at the lower pressure. I know the frame is not bent, I had it up on a frame rack and its within a couple thousandths of stock.:think:

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Outlaw makes a bolt-in kit to help prevent the bed spread... and it's only like $200? Nice too, with removable pins, etc.

Haven't seen mine spread, however my frame has been BEEFED up far beyond a stock truck:

d8d2cbd1.jpg

I have watched the evolution of your truck, as many others also. The problem is not the bump stops they seem to work. Your frame reinforced in the manner it is might actually hurt more than it helps since the spider web would help with lateral motion not vertical motion. I notice the small amount of frame reinforcement directly above the bump stop area. I am very impressed with your truck and don't want to get anyone's feelings hurt but I think I may have a better way to get the end result for less and get a better off road ride... The force of gravity which is the problem is being amplified by, jumping, anything in the bed, and unbalanced impacts on the frame. Stopping side to side motion will actually cause other failures as the frame is suppose to move some, this adds comfort and safety. Right now a glimpse is that as the truck bottoms out (begins to hit positive G force while airborne you experience negative G's) and you cram 5 to 20 times the force of gravity on to two tiny points against the frame. The force has to radiate out and down the frame each direction while the bed is now about 5,000 pounds of weight on top of it for a split second until the suspension can rebound. This is positive G force ( I don't exactly know who calls it G out but its G in) being stressed on the frame in a tiny spot the size of a dime. While at the same time that occurs the spring begins to bend beyond flat and actually begins to have a reverse curve to it. This is more stress exactly in the center of the bowing action that is now pulling in and down on the frame at the connection point. Splitting this load over two reduces the stress point by 50% and will help prevent bottoming out all together. The goal is to stop the spring from traveling to flat and stop it before that happens... Trying to help people here folks not trying to **** anyone off ....

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen gopro footage in this area while the rear end is really working against the bump stops, in deep whoops or sudden G-outs? The spring goes way past flat, and in most cases, forms a "W" shape. There's really no way to prevent that, unless you limit travel... which nobody wants to do!

I agree, the frame is designed to "twist" in the rear, but due to the extent that mine was bent in the first place, it HAD to be reinforced once repaired. As you know, once you bend metal, then bend it back again, it becomes weaker and weaker. Simply slapping a bump kit on at that point may not have prevented further damage, as I've seen other trucks have "repeat" frame damage even with a bump kit and repair the first time around. In addition, the "twist" in the rear frame may also be part of the reason some people are experiencing bed spread, even with a bump kit... twisting to the outside could easily help contribute to that. Being that mines welded solid, there has been absolutely no signs of bed spread.

I see where your theory comes into play... but in my case, it's been solid as a rock, comfortable on and off road, and has shows no signs of fatigue over 2 years. Can't really ask for more than that, with how ridiculously hard I've driven it.

Still interested to see what you come up with as a solution for others looking for some rear-end reinforcement.

Last edited: