Frame Problems (Magazine Editorial)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RPG

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Surfer,

Empty bed the HD will ride firmer than stock, but nice and planted. It's not full size harsh by any means. Just not spongy. The Standards are just plush and planted. Highway expansion joints don't chatter the rear end everywhere like stock.

The ride is greatly improved over stock with both set-up.

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I used $100 bills how many thick would it be?:birgits_tiredcoffee

Enough to buy there kit!

Surfer,

Empty bed the HD will ride firmer than stock, but nice and planted. It's not full size harsh by any means. Just not spongy. The Standards are just plush and planted. Highway expansion joints don't chatter the rear end everywhere like stock.

Can you get the SD springs but not have the 1" sag or even a 1-2" lift. I know there are the Denver +2" springs, but i like the way the National SD's seem to act better.

Last edited:

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the national standard duty 1 inch over. Plus I am on top perch. The ride on the street is way better than stock. Not harsh at all very stable and planted. Off road over the trails I ride which have some whoops the back does not bounce up, but just settles nice when it lands. By far I think the stage 3 rpg is the best mod. I don't do a lot of offroad so this is a good balance between on and off road. I also tow a enclosed 14 ft trailer. Before the springs had a lot of rear sag. Now it is real close to being level. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
How much more stable does the rear end become with the RPG stage 3 rear kit. Is there a big difference in the highway manners/ride between the heavy duty and the normal national springs?

One of the best things about running National springs is that annoying wheel hop is gone, nada, kaput !

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

It's important to keep in mind the frame is only as thick as about 20 $1.00 bills stacked together

Hope this helps.

Yea it helped me remember there was a girl at the wild goose that could stack 15 one dollar bills on her......... oh wait that was my younger wilder days.

LiL J, come on we adults here. Use real terms, like 10 gague, or .157 thousands thick, or if you have to pull out your wifes pink tape measure with the 1/16, 1/8 ect.
Oh LiL J, I had so much fun, I gotta get back soon.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

While watching the RPG video take notice to the speed the leaf spring is moving upward, it's really fast at points. Now look at how fast the 2.5 Fox air bump absorbs the upward energy and how Quickly it returns down for the next upward travel. Slow motion in the latter part of the video helps you see what's going on.

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the national standard duty 1 inch over. Plus I am on top perch. The ride on the street is way better than stock. Not harsh at all very stable and planted. Off road over the trails I ride which have some whoops the back does not bounce up, but just settles nice when it lands. By far I think the stage 3 rpg is the best mod. I don't do a lot of offroad so this is a good balance between on and off road. I also tow a enclosed 14 ft trailer. Before the springs had a lot of rear sag. Now it is real close to being level. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats cool i don't like the back sagging look. What tire size do you have. I want to run top perch and 37" but still be level or a 1" high in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surfer,

I have RPG Stage 3 installed and raised to mid-perch for bout a month now. What Jarrett said is true. Overall the ride is great. Any harsh or stiff comment simply means you can notice something is different. Still a very smooth and enjoyable ride.

The ride with no payload feels like a nice car that has some stiff shocks (no bouncing or hop). Very obvious that it is the rear that is stiff. BUT,... put some load in the bed and it smoothes right out to the Lincoln ride again. (did not ride any trail with paylod yet, just hiway)

The mid perch allows me to turn without the nose diving into the road.

I was amazed at how smooth it handled the rocky trails we rode last week in Phoenix. Taking mildly rutted trails at 40-50 mph fishtailing, sliding. Handled the slow crawling stuff well also. Not once did I bounce my head against the door!

Also have some parking lot entrances and speed bumps that I use to have slow down to go over here at home. Now, no need to slowdown. Just cruise over.

Swagger4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those RPG rear bump stop kits are awesome work great. We did a run from Barstow to stateline. One of my buddies Raptor went complete vertical we saw the top of the tailgate and we were in front of them. He had the RPG stage 3 kit and no frame damage. Rear cab got dent by the rear window, skid plate and cracked windshield...lol

:peace:

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Damn man, there was some serious flex for it to crack the windshield!