hill descent fault, service advancetrac, and no offroad mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so normally this is a water in 3rd brakelight problem, not this time. i have the snap on ethos scanner. ran codes and said my steering angle sensor was bad. replaced it, but to no avail. still get the faults. swapped out my 3brake light with my girfriends brakelight, no luck there. somewhere there is a fault that triggers this, however its not all the time. i can drive 20 miles and not have it come on, or i can drive 100ft and have it come on. what does our infamous peanut gallery have to say on this? hope i can get some info and answers here

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure but the Super duty forums discuss a connection above the parking brake that can work loose and send fault codes like you mentioned. Put some dialectric grease in there and reconnect. Seems to work on the bigger trucks. Worth a try.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure but the Super duty forums discuss a connection above the parking brake that can work loose and send fault codes like you mentioned. Put some dialectric grease in there and reconnect. Seems to work on the bigger trucks. Worth a try.
interesting. you have a link i can read up on? appreciate it, thanks

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
interesting. you have a link i can read up on? appreciate it, thanks
Here's a link..

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have a remote continuity tester run continuity between the plug at the control module to the plug at the 3rd brake light, do each prong and wiggle them to see if you can get continuity to break.

Nice to have a second raptor for diagnostics parts!

Steven_Born

Reaction score
So I was having similar issues with my 2010, it started with the hill decent and advance trac errors and then it got worse with the info portion of my display going blank and then my dash lights not working and full loss of all gauges. This was random similar to what you were experiencing many times it would happen when it rained and of course was much worse when any moisture happened. I checked the 3rd brake light in hopes of finding the issue and it was clean absolutely no issues. I then read that many F150's were having an issue with the gauge cluster solder joints. I removed the cluster and inspected the solder joints, all looked great no issues. When I put the cluster back in everything was dead once again, so I figured that I must have messed up removing the cluster. But as I was moving things around all of a sudden things lite up. I finally figured out that it's the wiring harness going to the gauge cluster. Many times while driving I would get one of the errors or would loose the cluster entirely, so I left the bezel off allowing me access to the wiring harness connection to the gauges and when it happened I could move the wires to make everything work. I have been able to keep it all working without issue but would like to replace that section of the harness.

I have an electrical schematic book for the truck and found the connections but cannot find the harness, does anyone know if you can get this harness or should I plan to go to a junk yard and find a truck that I can cut this section out and solder into my truck. It appears to be multiple wires not a single wire failure.

Maybe you are having the same issue?

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was having similar issues with my 2010, it started with the hill decent and advance trac errors and then it got worse with the info portion of my display going blank and then my dash lights not working and full loss of all gauges. This was random similar to what you were experiencing many times it would happen when it rained and of course was much worse when any moisture happened. I checked the 3rd brake light in hopes of finding the issue and it was clean absolutely no issues. I then read that many F150's were having an issue with the gauge cluster solder joints. I removed the cluster and inspected the solder joints, all looked great no issues. When I put the cluster back in everything was dead once again, so I figured that I must have messed up removing the cluster. But as I was moving things around all of a sudden things lite up. I finally figured out that it's the wiring harness going to the gauge cluster. Many times while driving I would get one of the errors or would loose the cluster entirely, so I left the bezel off allowing me access to the wiring harness connection to the gauges and when it happened I could move the wires to make everything work. I have been able to keep it all working without issue but would like to replace that section of the harness.

I have an electrical schematic book for the truck and found the connections but cannot find the harness, does anyone know if you can get this harness or should I plan to go to a junk yard and find a truck that I can cut this section out and solder into my truck. It appears to be multiple wires not a single wire failure.

Maybe you are having the same issue?
appreciate the feedback. i am not having issues with the cluster. i have been bouncing messages back and forth with fordtechone. he thinks its something to do with signal going to my abs module. im going to be checking that out now

Steven_Born

Reaction score
Please let me know what you find out. Mine started with the initial errors that you talked about and in fact it happened again today, but it progressed to the other issues over time.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the harness that runs behind the engine on the right side, mine had chaffed and I had some of the codes you are having, but not all (that is why I didn't mention it in my earlier post). I think mine was related to fuse 73.
38738.jpeg
The PO or repair shop or whoever ran those daisy chained zip ties to the AC line instead of securing it to the firewall. It is possible yours broke or came loose.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had issue with like that after Whipple install. i was electrical connector to throttlebody. Hill decent fault , advance track

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer

Latest posts