High Output Lights on the Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
@zombiekiller you just have a straight 30” Onx6 correct?
I did have one on my raptor, I just took it off because the front bumper needed to be modified for the tilt hinges. ( One piece front end). TMX did fit it in there with the mods, but I felt like I might smack it on something due to how far forward it had to come.

On a nor.al frame cut bumper, it fits greats and works very well.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So if you had to choose one option for long distance light (I already have a fog light kit) which would you go with? S8 behind the grille or XL80's?

XL80 with spot lenses is going to push further out.
However, I did and would do again the s8 first.

If you think the squadron pro class lights are bright, they’re not. The S8 will make them look weak, and even behind the grille it will throw quite a ways. With well aimed bumper lights, the S8 will push far enough out to travel at a moderate pace, fill in a lot of mid range and close in.

But, if distance is your main concern or need, the XL80s win.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I had a Rigid 40" on an ADD bumper with my Gen 1. Would the light output of the S8 be similar to that 40" light bar?

I’ll have to defer to the internet on that one. Maybe one of our vendors or users knows.

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I had a Rigid 40" on an ADD bumper with my Gen 1. Would the light output of the S8 be similar to that 40" light bar?

Depends on the model from Rigid. If it was a radiance (these have the backlight),, then the s8 would be a bit brighter. If it was anything else from Rigid, it would be dimmer from a pure lumen standpoint ignoring pattern (and significantly dimmer so if it was any of the higher end models).

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
XL80 with spot lenses is going to push further out.
However, I did and would do again the s8 first.

If you think the squadron pro class lights are bright, they’re not. The S8 will make them look weak, and even behind the grille it will throw quite a ways. With well aimed bumper lights, the S8 will push far enough out to travel at a moderate pace, fill in a lot of mid range and close in.

But, if distance is your main concern or need, the XL80s win.

I'd be really interested in seeing Photos comparing the S8 behind the grill, vs as S8 in front of the grille. ( I don't expect you to do it.)

In-person, The difference in light output is tangible and also a bit shocking as far as how much light the grill actually blocks.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
In-person, The difference in light output is tangible and also a bit shocking as far as how much light the grill actually blocks.

I believe you. B/D isn’t making their bones on pure power, but the beam pattern, light temperature, reflector shape, lens shape all combined together. It’s obvious when you look at the combo lenses that you’re going to lose some side to side illumination thanks to the grille and surely the grill blocks about 5%(?) of the area of the light. I was asking about loss before I bought the kit.

If the caliber 9 grille wasn’t so spendy, the onxy6 would be a good option.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Swarfworks mount is definitely stout! Install was quite simple and can be done by one person to mount everything up and wire all of the lights in a couple of hours at an easy pace.

The 4 LP-9's may be overkill, but the amount of light output is worth it for me. I also have a 40" Baja Designs OnX6 Racer lightbar up on the roof for long-range stuff, and XL-80's on the hood. The lighting so far seems to complement each other with sufficient light throw and spread for my uses. I haven't taken the truck off-road since the install due to life happening, but I like it so far.

The only other point I would make is that the front camera relocation is straightforward and uses all of the existing camera components and wiring. You simply adjust the camera wires to gain slack in the harness by removing a couple of zip-tie clamps, and the stock camera mounts into the forward-mounted housing. There was a comment further up where someone was worried about messing up the truck's electronics, and it's a non-issue.

If anyone has any specific questions about the install or how this works, let me know.

tempImageCILD1U.png