GEN 2 High Mileage Owners Input HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
thank you for all the great info! i might just pull the trigger as this truck literally is my dream setup but its the mileage thats the only thing holding me back $50k on a truck with 70k miles is a risk and i understand that but also a great deal for such an amazing truck
FYI, I sold my 2010 Gen1 with 200k for $20k , just as reference.

D11gnccer

Reaction score
I told my girlfriend it’s only expensive while I own it. It’s amazing how you can sway someone’s initial perspective if you immediately reply to a question with an affirmative and somewhat believable statement. Lol.

Some truth behind it though. The Raptor holds a good portion of its value and there will most likely always be a market and demand for used ones. Any vehicle is a gamble. I don’t have the income to own one outside of a warranty.

This doesn’t really answer your question. My 2019 sits with 7500 miles on it.

ZookieRap

Reaction score
FWIW I just went through this. You didn't say if this is a daily driver for you or a toy so hard to gauge your annual miles which would potentially change what I'm about to say. I'm daily driving. Less miles these days but still probably 12-15k annually. If it's a toy and/or you don't have a loan that changes things. I'm familiar with this but not on my Raptor.

I found a great truck with records etc locally but it had 89k on it and they wanted 48k. They were quick to drop that but here's what I convinced myself of. Right or wrong, I just didn't want to start my journey or my loan at such high mileage. 50k truck and starting at 70k miles? That's a tough one, at least for me. Not as tough as 89k but my opinion of 70k and 89k is nearly the same. That's barely a year of time based on my usage.

I just don't want to start with mileage so high on my daily. I take care of my vehicles but I DRIVE them and enjoy it. I keep my vehicles until the maintenance wears me down which seems to usually be mid to high 100k but I have never owned a Raptor. Plenty of large SUVs though which are trucks. Maintenance starts coming into play at higher miles regardless of how long the actual motor might last. It's not free and I didn't want the nickel and dime effect to kick in before I had some time with a low maintenance truck. I took it a step further as you can see below but I could cut this off here.

Cam phasers and the idiotic design of putting the water pump inside the motor made me convince myself that I wanted a truck I could buy the Flood Ford ESP and that meant I had to get a truck with under 41k miles as I don't plan to modify it heavily. This made the price go up of course. The truck I ended up buying took another convincing to spend even more for a newer year and the color I wanted but only live once. Flood ESP adds a chunk depending on duration and deductible if you go this route.

Get what you want but my opinion is that 70k is a really high starting point for any vehicle if it's your daily driver and you put any real miles on it annually unless the price is really low and 50k, in my book, is not really low.

Raptors don't sell for really low prices so, unfortunately, I'd say save more, increase your budget, or wait longer and find a lower mileage truck. Good luck!

Jraptor78

Reaction score
I have a 2018 with 84k on it and it's great. If trade in wasn't worth what I paid for it in 2019 I'd keep it but a powerboost is on its way as I type.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cam phasers and the idiotic design of putting the water pump inside the motor made me convince myself that I wanted a truck I could buy the Flood Ford ESP and that meant I had to get a truck with under 41k miles as I don't plan to modify it heavily. This made the price go up of course.

The water pump is not internal to the engine. It bolts on to the front cover; it’s fully service be without disassembling any part of the engine.

Evpilot

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat with the truck I want at 70k miles too. I’m getting an extended service plan for peace of mind.

ZookieRap

Reaction score
The water pump is not internal to the engine. It bolts on to the front cover; it’s fully service be without disassembling any part of the engine.

Is it behind the timing cover? It sounds like you are saying no. Can't say I've looked and certainly don't want to spread misinformation if this engine is not susceptible to the catastrophic failure some 3.5L engines have when coolant is able to leak into the oil. It would be outstanding if that's not a possible condition on this truck.