Help treypal fix all of his Rapturd issues before the Raptor run!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
So yesterday I had some fun down the Padre Island National Seashore with FRF member fostercd, truck ran great as always, noticed the Passenger front axle seal is leaking though. No Big deal.

Head back into town, get up this morning to head home, truck starts fine, I go through 3 stoplights with no issues, I slow down for the 4th light and the truck dies. Starts right up, I drive 20 miles at highway speed with no issues, decide I am going to pull into the next gas station to look things over, slow down, truck dies, start it up and it dies again, oil light comes on. I remember hearing about Rapshires dying when they are low on oil. I checked mine, but I was at a bad angle, it was a little low, so I added a quart. Truck struggled but started, drove it home another 20 miles through many lights with no issues, idled it in the driveway for 10 minutes, no problem. Really sucks because the check engine light didn't come on, so I don't think it threw any codes. A few weeks ago I had the truck wouldn't start after fueling issue which seems to have worked it self out. Maybe this is another reincarnation of that problem.

Anyone know if those axle seals are easy to change? It leaked a lot of oil yesterday, all down the passenger side door, bumper, etc... All of it was on the passenger side so I am fairly certain that it was the axle seal, not the engine spitting oil.

Another issue I have is when offroad if I am on the gas and the suspension bottoms out there is a really loud bang that comes from under the truck, feels like its right under the rear seat. Can't see anything visibly wrong, I checked to see if it was the driveshaft bottoming out, lubed the slip yolk with lithium grease, still does it. My tranny crossmember has taken some pretty hard hits, maybe something is out of alignment.

Another thing that I noticed is it took like 15 minutes for the tranny to get up to temp. I usually dont pay attention to that though since I am not normally staring at my gauges while driving. And it didnt feel like it was shifting into 6th gear. Not 100% on this one, it just seemed like the rpms were high for 65 (right around 2000 rpm).

Trade it in? Call Stewart's for one of their raptors (scratches lotto ticket, nope...).

It really feels like my truck is starting to fall apart, sucks.
So to conclude. Current Issues.

1. Dies when coming to a stop.
2. Leaking passenger side front axle seal
3. The Bang (not the clunk)
4. Transmission may not be going into 6th.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ouch... doesn't sound good. Sorry I can't really help, I've only had mine for a month.

I did want to say though, after all your hard work to get the TX RR up and going, RPG should just let you drive the stage 4 raptor for the weekend!!! :waytogo:

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Rear shocks are in need of rebuilding, but they are not the problem. I have pulled them off and tested. That particular issue feels like its coming from the center of the truck.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
at 65 the rpm are at 1500 or les in my 2012 dang how hard are you running that thing hope you didn't bend the frame hitting a jump wrong.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Frame is straight(ish). The bed is still in line. I have my generals on which kick up the revs a little bit, but I dont think 500 RPM. I also have a 5.4.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol straightish well glad you are having fun sounds like its time for a big tune up dump all oil's tranny gears ext. take a pic of under side so we can see it if you want.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you say you've pulled them off and tested, does that mean you've driven without them, bottomed out the suspension and the noise is still there? I'm asking because I would have sworn my blown-shock-bang was coming from the middle of the truck too. Might be something to try.

As for the stalling... no codes at all, right? Like, maybe you've got a short in the lead coming off the battery? You could try running that test; have the truck running, then pull the negative lead off the battery and see what happens. I bet it stalls with no code just like you're seeing.

Keep us posted trey. She's not falling apart on ya... she just needs a lil TLC at the moment. :)

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
When you say you've pulled them off and tested, does that mean you've driven without them, bottomed out the suspension and the noise is still there? I'm asking because I would have sworn my blown-shock-bang was coming from the middle of the truck too. Might be something to try.

As for the stalling... no codes at all, right? Like, maybe you've got a short in the lead coming off the battery? You could try running that test; have the truck running, then pull the negative lead off the battery and see what happens. I bet it stalls with no code just like you're seeing.

Keep us posted trey. She's not falling apart on ya... she just needs a lil TLC at the moment. :)

I didnt drive with them off, I jumped on em a little bit and they seemed ok, the truck works fine for the most part, its just a particular set of conditions that creates the bang. Hard acceleration, and soft bumpy ground, sounds like someone is hitting the underside of the truck with a hammer. How were you able to diagnose that it was a blown shock?

I will try the battery thing, but nothing else electrical has issues, radio stays on, etc. And this current stall only happened when slowing to a stop, truck ran with zero issues otherwise.

My previous truck wouldn't start issue had to do with filling the truck up. That one seems to have worked itself out though (or manifested itself into a stalling while slowing issue).