Help. I Raptor went into limp home mode... 31 codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving in the mountains this weekend and rolled into the throttle a bit. The truck cut boost and went into limp home mode. I checked codes and it said P2ABD and P2ABE. I believe these are over boost codes.
I was at about 8000 feet and I’ve heard sometimes it can be sensitive to that. Everything looked OK and I reset. Everything was fine no problems for a day or two. I again slowly rolled on the throttle to see if everything would be OK. It again went into limp home mode but this time all sorts of codes came up, cam position sensor and all kinds of others 31 in total. Tons are traction control advance track hill decent control, Invalid data from ECM, unknown OEM/DCT, crankshaft camshaft performance range.
It is in a much more severe limp home mode and barely stays running. The only thing that I have changed in the last two years is geyser Springs. I thought that perhaps the any luck brake cable may have Gotten damaged as I have had that happen already and it did throw a lot of advanced track codes traction control stuff. The cable bracket has been installed upside down and the wheel rubbed through the cable that time.
I don’t see any visible damage this time and it doesn’t explain all the engine stuff cam position sensor. Hope it’s not a cam phaser issue wasn’t really making any noise previously.
The only thing I’ve heard similar is another gentleman on the forms who had his wire harness eaten by rodents. Anyone have anything similar happened the vehicle is not drivable I’m going to take it into the dealer it’s still under warranty. Was hoping I could fix it but I just don’t see anything wrong at least visually
Thoughts?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you should take it to the dealer regardless, but did you disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few minutes and see if that brings it back to life?

OP
OP
B

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I tried the battery trick several times.
Has had a tune but removed and is running Stock. It does have down pipes and inner cooler and has run find that way for the last two years

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your oil level, when I'm getting due for an oil change if I get into it hard I get all types of codes, oil change fixes it. I probably need to take it in for an oil consumption test but haven't made the time.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was driving in the mountains this weekend and rolled into the throttle a bit. The truck cut boost and went into limp home mode. I checked codes and it said P2ABD and P2ABE. I believe these are over boost codes.
I was at about 8000 feet and I’ve heard sometimes it can be sensitive to that. Everything looked OK and I reset. Everything was fine no problems for a day or two. I again slowly rolled on the throttle to see if everything would be OK. It again went into limp home mode but this time all sorts of codes came up, cam position sensor and all kinds of others 31 in total. Tons are traction control advance track hill decent control, Invalid data from ECM, unknown OEM/DCT, crankshaft camshaft performance range.
It is in a much more severe limp home mode and barely stays running. The only thing that I have changed in the last two years is geyser Springs. I thought that perhaps the any luck brake cable may have Gotten damaged as I have had that happen already and it did throw a lot of advanced track codes traction control stuff. The cable bracket has been installed upside down and the wheel rubbed through the cable that time.
I don’t see any visible damage this time and it doesn’t explain all the engine stuff cam position sensor. Hope it’s not a cam phaser issue wasn’t really making any noise previously.
The only thing I’ve heard similar is another gentleman on the forms who had his wire harness eaten by rodents. Anyone have anything similar happened the vehicle is not drivable I’m going to take it into the dealer it’s still under warranty. Was hoping I could fix it but I just don’t see anything wrong at least visually
Thoughts?

The truck should operate fine at high elevation with the factory calibration as the Baro sensor compensates for altitude changes; the only issues I've seen are with tunes. DTCs P2ABD and P2ABE indicate Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator A/B Driver Current/Temperature Too High. Possible causes are a circuit issue or faulted wastegate actuators. Being that both A & B actuators are setting DTCs, it sounds like it's either tune or circuit related.

As @Jace21583 mentioned, have you checked your oil level? Low oil can result in cam position sensor DTCs setting.

OP
OP
B

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some more info. Even when I turn the key to the on position, but don't start it, it s giving me warnings. All the traction control stuff.....Dont know if that matters.

I will checks the things mentioned. I am going to trailer it home this evening.. I have to pick it up with a trailer 300 miles away.

About the low oiL. Wouldn't there be a low oil indicator? I will look. It has never burned oil and was fine a month ago.... I will check when I get home.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
No, the low oil lamp is the “too late” indicator. The truck’s ‘limp home’ strategy is designed to intervene before it’s too late to save the motor. Still, FTO points to both waste gate actuators, which would possibly indicate the problem is ‘north’ of the waste gate ... wherever in the truck that is ;-)

good luck

OP
OP
B

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be checking those things tomorrow. I will have some tools to work with and a trailer to bring it home. If I cant figure it out an appointment on the 28 of August :0
thanks, covid.....