Help a brother out (Minor Accident)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Hey There,

Spoke to the body shop (Ford auto body) to get some clarification on why your estimate was 20k+

The damage to your truck is substantial. The Outer uniside, Reinforcement(middle pinch weld layer), and Inner uniside(which is mated to the cab floor) has ripped off due to the way the side step was damaged. The only correct way to fix these parts is replacement, they can not be repaired.

What does this mean? Your truck needs a new Left hand lower side of the cab, the reinforcement layer of the pinch weld, and left side of the cab floor. The entire interior of the truck will have to be disassembled to replace these parts, the new parts will have to be installed and painted.

Let me know if theres any way I can help.

Thanks!

Good Lawd! If it was me, I would just have the doorskin replaced or fixed, then take it to a fab shop and have them beat the underside straight and tig weld as needed and re-mount a good nerf step. In 6 months you'll forget all about it.

On the other hand, if you let them take the side and bottom of the truck apart, who the hell knows what rattles lay ahead.

D

Deleted member 17706

Possibly the best advice in this entire thread.

Forget a friend of a friend, I am not letting a friend or family member drive my vehicle. Another Raptor owner that has experience driving a Raptor may drive it. Outside of that, not happening.

Anytime you let someone drive your vehicle, YOU are liable for that person.

tahoedriver

Reaction score
Sounds like I should get a aftermarket step / nerf bar that mounts to the frame before I hit something with the factory one. Does anyone recommend an aftermarket that mounts different from factory?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Possibly the best advice in this entire thread.

^^^
this.

OP: You not only need truck repairs, you need better friends. I’ve got a lot of acquaintances, I few dozen friends, a few good friends, then there’s family, including those not necessarily by blood. Still, any of them would need to accumulate quite a few wife points to get out of the dungeon after putting a mark on Lucille.

Mr. “friend of a friend” needs to spend some quality time sporting a ******** inside a full leather suit:

a6be262fe53b325846500c202414554f8f4b102e3b02b2400a.jpg

The picture of underneath where the rails fasten is pretty ugly.

Good luck with the fix.

Klavius Morph

Reaction score
Forget a friend of a friend, I am not letting a friend or family member drive my vehicle. Another Raptor owner that has experience driving a Raptor may drive it. Outside of that, not happening.

I like that approach. It *almost* got me some time behind the wheel of a Ford GT because I'm an ex-Pantera owner. ALMOST. ;)

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey There,

Spoke to the body shop (Ford auto body) to get some clarification on why your estimate was 20k+

The damage to your truck is substantial. The Outer uniside, Reinforcement(middle pinch weld layer), and Inner uniside(which is mated to the cab floor) has ripped off due to the way the side step was damaged. The only correct way to fix these parts is replacement, they can not be repaired.

What does this mean? Your truck needs a new Left hand lower side of the cab, the reinforcement layer of the pinch weld, and left side of the cab floor. The entire interior of the truck will have to be disassembled to replace these parts, the new parts will have to be installed and painted.

Let me know if theres any way I can help.

Thanks!

This is indeed correct - doesn't mean you can't repair it "good enough" rather than disassemble the whole truck if you can live with it. But a proper estimate written by a good shop would include it being done the right way which is to replace those panels

Randy Stabler

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Was wondering if any of you have been through a similar situation or can help with some knowledge on what I am going through.

So this past week I drove up to Northern California for my buddies wedding. While up north we had rented an AirBnB and were partying and all that good jazz. A buddy of mine borrowed my truck to go by beer pong cups (I know stupid as ****). As he was backing out he hit a pole that he didn’t see which gashed up the drivers side door and bent the running board so that it is facing down. So now that I’m back from the wedding I went and got a few estimates to give to my buddy to fix.

I went to the Ford collision website and looked for auto body shops listed there. There are 2 shops close by so I made appointments for them. I also called my local Ford Dealer (Galpin Ford) and they referred me to their exclusive auto body shop.

First estimate was to the tune of 4700ish which would be to replace the door panel and install brand new running board on the drivers side.

Second estimate the guy immediately told me this is a 20-25grand job within seconds. He said that the frame was bent and they would have to replace the frame. He had done 6 of these recently and the reason it’s expensive is because he will have disassemble the entire left side and some of the interior up to the center console. The estimate came back 17.5grand in writing.
(This is my local dealer Galpin’s auto body shop)

I have appointments for 2 more body shops left this week.

Has anyone had their running boards damaged and replaced? I didn’t expect such an massive difference between estimates. I want to know if Auto Body shop # 1 didn’t do their due diligence? Or if shop # 2 is full of shit?

The 2nd shop said it’s expensive because it’s aluminum.

Now my buddy was backing up going 5mph and hit a pole, would that bend the frame and require 17k in damages? Doesn’t seem right and I would be frankly pissed if the truck is so fragile it needs a huge expensive repair bill for such a minor incident. Anyone have a similar repair situation? How did it go for you?

Sorry if my grammar sucks.

Thank you for your time.
Hello everyone! Was wondering if any of you have been through a similar situation or can help with some knowledge on what I am going through.

So this past week I drove up to Northern California for my buddies wedding. While up north we had rented an AirBnB and were partying and all that good jazz. A buddy of mine borrowed my truck to go by beer pong cups (I know stupid as ****). As he was backing out he hit a pole that he didn’t see which gashed up the drivers side door and bent the running board so that it is facing down. So now that I’m back from the wedding I went and got a few estimates to give to my buddy to fix.

I went to the Ford collision website and looked for auto body shops listed there. There are 2 shops close by so I made appointments for them. I also called my local Ford Dealer (Galpin Ford) and they referred me to their exclusive auto body shop.

First estimate was to the tune of 4700ish which would be to replace the door panel and install brand new running board on the drivers side.

Second estimate the guy immediately told me this is a 20-25grand job within seconds. He said that the frame was bent and they would have to replace the frame. He had done 6 of these recently and the reason it’s expensive is because he will have disassemble the entire left side and some of the interior up to the center console. The estimate came back 17.5grand in writing.
(This is my local dealer Galpin’s auto body shop)

I have appointments for 2 more body shops left this week.

Has anyone had their running boards damaged and replaced? I didn’t expect such an massive difference between estimates. I want to know if Auto Body shop # 1 didn’t do their due diligence? Or if shop # 2 is full of shit?

The 2nd shop said it’s expensive because it’s aluminum.

Now my buddy was backing up going 5mph and hit a pole, would that bend the frame and require 17k in damages? Doesn’t seem right and I would be frankly pissed if the truck is so fragile it needs a huge expensive repair bill for such a minor incident. Anyone have a similar repair situation? How did it go for you?

Sorry if my grammar sucks.

Thank you for your time.

Randy Stabler

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am the co owner and president of Pride Collision Centers which is the parent company to Ford Auto Body. I too am a proud Raptor owner and can help explain and demystify why our initial estimate was so surprising to Remix5X. First, the correct techniques and labor operations required to restore any damaged vehicle back to its factory specifications are designed and published by the vehicle manufacturer. These labor operations are not suggestions but are required work instructions by the manufacturer. In other words, we do not make up or choose repair processes, we follow the factory published instructions.

In this case, the left inner rocker (made out of aluminum) is damaged and the metal is ripped from the bracket that holds the left running board. Ford's guidance and instructions are that this part is not to be re-welded and repaired and needs to be replaced. In order to replace this part, the repair process is quite involved and invasive. It requires that the entire left outer rocker assembly and outer B pillar be removed and replaced in order to replace the inner aluminum rocker panel that is ripped and torn. I am enclosing the factory repair instructions for everyone's review. Again, I stress that we do not make this up as a body shop and are only following the repair instructions created by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Please do not take my word for it and contact Ford engineers directly and they will confirm my information for you.

These parts also have to be installed using special factory approved rivet and bonding tools which have a very specific pull strength to ensure that panels are tight together with no airgaps so that the bonding agent will hold uniformally. Most shops don't even have this specialized equipment and training. We have made this investment in training and equipment and have the capability to follow the manufacturers repair instructions.

Any other body shop that does not repair the car this way is deviating from the factory repair techniques and is not restoring the vehicle to its pre-accident condition. These repair methods are specifically engineered by the vehicle manufacturer to ensure that the vehicle will be as safe as before in the unfortunate event that the vehicle were involved in a subsequent accident after this repair.

A couple of years ago a body shop (John Eagle collision in Texas) did not follow the factory repair techniques when replacing a structural part on a Honda car. The vehicle was in a subsequent accident ant the occupants suffered serious injuries. The court found that the injuries were more extensive because of the poor repair of the John Eagle shop and because the short cut the repair and did not follow the factory repair techniques. The body shop was successfully sued for $32 million dollars.

I apologize to Remix5x if we did not do a good enough job explaining why the cost of his repair was so expensive but unfortunately, the damage is in a really difficult area and the correct repair is very labor intensive. Imagine if you were driving along on the freeway and you ran over a piece of metal that flew up and pierced and ripped a small hole in your floor pan. This would require the replacement of your floor pan which would be very invasive and expensive. Your vehicle unfortunately suffered damage in a very expensive area.

Again I am sorry for the confusion but am always available to get involved and help a fellow raptor owner out.

Attachments

• Raptor rocker panel parts detail.pdf
    223.6 KB · Views: 10
  • rocker replacement ihnstructions.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 12