Heated Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the operations of this thing works? Sometimes it will get so hot that it's hard to hold onto, other times it will heat up and then cool down fairly quickly and other times it just gets slightly warm, but not hot. Is there an automatic thermostat built into it?

Reaction score
me too. My wife's volvo has 3 settings and is very consistent. The raptor seems to be very mild heat if at all. Would be cool if there was a Forscan hack for this.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have both an 18 Raptor and an 18 Explorer Sport. Both wheels are either on or off. Always the same when each gets turn on.

But...
Every time, the explorer wheel gets so hot I have to turn off the heated wheel inside 5 minutes. the entire wheel gets almost to hot to hold with bare hands.

The raptor is not nearly as hot as the explorer wheel. I can leave it on my entire commute and it remains comfortable. with noticeable hot spots at different places on the wheel, with the very top almost having no heat at all.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me too. My wife's volvo has 3 settings and is very consistent. The raptor seems to be very mild heat if at all. Would be cool if there was a Forscan hack for this.

Coming to the Raptor from an XC90 T8 - I like the Raptor's heated wheel I think it heats up fast, warms your hands, then stays at a lower maintenance temperature on it's own. I found the XC90's to always be burn your hands hot or barely warm and I was constantly adjusting it. There's a lot of personal preference there I suppose.

Reaction score
Coming to the Raptor from an XC90 T8 - I like the Raptor's heated wheel I think it heats up fast, warms your hands, then stays at a lower maintenance temperature on it's own. I found the XC90's to always be burn your hands hot or barely warm and I was constantly adjusting it. There's a lot of personal preference there I suppose.

hmm, thats interesting. My wife's XC90 is awesome. Ours in an R Design although I would imagine the heater steering would be the same on all models that had it. I guess results vary from vehicle to vehicle with every brand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Woolaroc

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So this is what I'm wondering... Does it actually go to a lower setting after getting hot? I've noticed that it sometimes does this, but other times it just seems to get hotter and hotter till I have to turn it off because it's too hot.

Todd Sherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have new 2019 Raptor, I like the heated steering wheel, it only has one setting obviously, so once it warms up, I turn it off, by this time the heat has warmed the vehicle inside and I am good to go.

Ski4Ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The raptor seems to be very mild heat if at all. Would be cool if there was a Forscan hack for this.
I've never tried adjusting the settings, but I do see that there are temperature settings for the heated steering wheel in Forscan. Anyone ever tried changing those values?

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do experience the variability you describe. I think it heats up particularly hot, then dips down to a maintenance temp. I think at some interval it might heat back up again though, as it does seem a bit up and down sometimes.