Headlight condensation and sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVGH

Reaction score
I had a prospective Raptor looked at my a Ford dealer. Said it was great, but noted that someone had used RTV to seal the headlights and it was trapping condensation. The truck is out of state, so I haven't seen it yet.

Anyone know if there are just some vents that would have to be cleared of the RTV? I see from Google that F150's have headlight condensation issues.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a prospective Raptor looked at my a Ford dealer. Said it was great, but noted that someone had used RTV to seal the headlights and it was trapping condensation. The truck is out of state, so I haven't seen it yet.

Anyone know if there are just some vents that would have to be cleared of the RTV? I see from Google that F150's have headlight condensation issues.

Search the internet for any concern and you’ll find it, that doesn’t mean it’s a common or widespread issue.

The reason those headlights have condensation issues is because some hack destroyed the OE seal and tried to seal them back up with RTV, which is not the correct sealant. They also likely damaged the sealing surface while trying to take them apart; they are not designed to be disassembled. The headlights have built in vents that allow for atmospheric pressure changes. My guess would be the hack damaged the headlights and they’re leaking water due to the improper disassembly/reassembly.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with mine... There is some good news though, they are the same as standard f150 headlights so you should be able to find used replacement housings inexpensively.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are ?
That is a new one on me.
Back in the day, we would bake the headlamps to open them up.
They were not vented, and if you got condensation, then it probably took a hit from a rock.

OP
OP
LVGH

LVGH

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The Raptor was shipped from WA state, to me in Las Vegas. From very wet to very dry! Anyway one of the "RTV sealed headlights" still has condensation after several days. As I said, I live in Vegas, we haven't had rain, and have very low humidity. So whoever sealed them apparently did a good job but may not have fully dried them before sealing. My question is, as many have said, the covers have vents. Mine were apparently sealed up. Where are they located? I could just drill them out if that is possible. Or drill new vents somewhere. The truck won't be encountering rain and I usually don't have to wash the truck, just wipe it down with detail spray and microfiber to remove dust. I don't want to buy new $$$ headlight housings just for this.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could certainly try drilling a small hole near the top in the back of the housing where its protected and see if it gets rid of the problem, it would be something to try in lieu of replacing them. But as soon as you hit dewpoint you will have condensation again, maybe drill, allow them to dry then plug the drill hole.

OP
OP
LVGH

LVGH

Reaction score
Thanks. LOL we live in very, very dry Las Vegas. Dewpoint shouldn't be a problem. But whoever slathered the sealant on did an outstanding job. Moisture from Washington state still in there!

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just wash the truck,headlight have condensation on it,a third from the bottom.half hour later,completely dry.
2019 scab,live oregon cost.