Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you ever get tired of being right?
View attachment 317939
Here's the one that I find I can get with my 6.2 though:
View attachment 317940
The second sticker is a 5.4 Raptor. Are you calculating by hand or using the average from the cluster? Even in a regular F-150 they are rated 12/16, I can’t see getting better than that in a Raptor that weighs more with 35” tires, 4.10 axles, and much worse aerodynamics! :oops:

Last edited:

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i get better than that unless I beat on it. As I've mentioned before

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The second sticker is a 5.4 Raptor. Are you calculating by hand or using the average from the cluster? Even in a regular F-150 they are rated 12/16, I can’t see getting better than that in a Raptor that weighs more with 35” tires, 4.10 axles, and much worse aerodynamics! :oops:
Yes, I know thats the 5.4, I use the onboard dash cluster, and last trip through the mountains and back, I got an average of 18.3mpg, with my 6.2, that's not my norm for that trip, usually in the 17mpg range, but I was trying my best to get better mpg by letting it coast down the hills and gently using the gas up hills. This was doing 60-70 mph, but sometimes, 90 mph coasting down hill, some hills are downhill for 30 miles, fyi, but I did a round trip, so... 91 octane fuel too.

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen I for me.

Raptor is a toy, and I feel the same way I do about it as I do my race car. (S197-Brembo)

That is: I want to be able to play with it and drive it so I don't want feel bad if/when I toss it into a wall.

I wouldn't be able to do that with a Gen II. It's just easier for me to beat, mod and cut-up a $30k truck as opposed to a $60k truck.

Is the Gen II better? Probably.
Is the Gen II twice as good? No way.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If you’re only getting 11 on your Gen 1, it has issues, is all I’m saying.
It doesn't see the hiway much. I will say when we bought it, we drove home 250 miles, wife and son following me in the '18, I checked the lie-o-meters when we got home. 13mpg and 17mpg. Same speed, same distance. Avg about 75-80 mph. So 11 seems plausible. Or, maybe there is something wrong with it, who knows.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I know thats the 5.4, I use the onboard dash cluster, and last trip through the mountains and back, I got an average of 18.3mpg, with my 6.2, that's not my norm for that trip, usually in the 17mpg range, but I was trying my best to get better mpg by letting it coast down the hills and gently using the gas up hills. This was doing 60-70 mph, but sometimes, 90 mph coasting down hill, some hills are downhill for 30 miles, fyi, but I did a round trip, so... 91 octane fuel too.
I’d be really curious to see what it calculates out to by hand...those downhill sections may be artificially inflating the instrument cluster calculation. Or, maybe you truly are getting the stated fuel economy due to the amount of downhill/coasting you’re able to do on that drive.

Wait...don’t you guys use km up there north of the border? :think:

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't see the hiway much. I will say when we bought it, we drove home 250 miles, wife and son following me in the '18, I checked the lie-o-meters when we got home. 13mpg and 17mpg. Same speed, same distance. Avg about 75-80 mph. So 11 seems plausible. Or, maybe there is something wrong with it, who knows.
So my first raptor was a 2010 scab. It was built late October so it came with the 6.2, sunroof, and all the upgrades from the earlier 2010 which came with the 5.4 etc..

I loved that truck (still do) purchased it in 2012 and in 2018 I sold it to my little brother for a hell of a deal because I bought my 2013 screw. That 2010 with the 6.2 always averaged 11mpg and rarely went up into the 13's. To this day that truck is still badass, mostly stock with K&N intake, granatelli plug wires, ngk plugs, and still getting 11mpg and as low as 10 even. Recently I saw a YouTube video of a guy with a 2011 scab who was outfitting his with some over landing equipment and he commented that his 2011 scab also got 11mpg average. So 11mpg I guess is not that uncommon. Maybe they refined the tuning as they went ??‍♂️

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d be really curious to see what it calculates out to by hand...those downhill sections may be artificially inflating the instrument cluster calculation. Or, maybe you truly are getting the stated fuel economy due to the amount of downhill/coasting you’re able to do on that drive.

Wait...don’t you guys use km up there north of the border? :think:
Yes we use Km’s, but I always have my truck set for standard, I’m old school and with my trade in hvac, all the equipment I buy is from USA and my Raptor has spent more than half of its driving life south of the border.