Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another option if you want the gen 1 but don’t like the fuel mileage would be to get a gen 1 and a another commuter.

of course depending on how much time you commute and if you want to be in style or not.

For reference I drive a 2001 ranger reg cab 2wd 5speed most places

kuuzi

Reaction score
The best mod is “Get the title mod” so whatever you can pay off faster. Gen1 for me, don’t feel bad when I bomb through some trails and scratch the paint.

Panaraptor

Reaction score
You’re making the baseless assumption that components related to the turbocharger system are somehow more failure prone than other components. Turbochargers have been around for over 100 years, they are not some new unproven technology despite the fear mongering that you like to spread.

And no, there are not “53 pipes/joints” in the charge air cooler system; you’re making a fool of yourself with your complete lack of knowledge. They fact that you make the claim that “they’re all going to leak” is even more comical.

As far as cylinder pressures, the G2 3.5 GTDI was engineered for forced induction from the beginning. There is no NA version. They didn’t just slap 2 turbos on the way people slap superchargers on the 6.2.

Both the 3.5 and 6.2 are OHC engines with VCT, the only difference is the 3.5 has an additional cam on each bank. The 6.2’s intake manifold is more complex, as it features intake manifold runner control with 2 vacuum actuators and 2 position sensors.

Making the broad claim that one engine is more reliable than another based simply on part count is not only inaccurate, but just plain ignorant.
You argue like a democrat quoting MSNBC. Some of us rely on real world experience, not data from companies with alternative motives. Any good mechanic knows the 6.2 is far more reliable. Any small turbo charged GDI engine pushing a heavy vehicle around won’t last as long as large displacement naturally aspirated engines. Having said that, the ecoboost is a great motor and can last a long time if taken care of….just not nearly as long as the 6.2. Sorry.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You argue like a democrat quoting MSNBC. Some of us rely on real world experience, not data from companies with alternative motives. Any good mechanic knows the 6.2 is far more reliable. Any small turbo charged GDI engine pushing a heavy vehicle around won’t last as long as large displacement naturally aspirated engines. Having said that, the ecoboost is a great motor and can last a long time if taken care of….just not nearly as long as the 6.2. Sorry.
You rely on “real world experience, not data” :jester:

There are no “alternative motives” here Mr. conspiracy theorist. The only thing you should be sorry about is that you’re spreading misinformation. You’re making the assumption that the engine will not last as long simply based on displacement and the fact that it’s turbocharged. That’s simple minded nonsense with no validity. There is no part of the engine that is going to wear out prematurely due to lower displacement or forced induction.

The Gen 2 EcoBoost was engineered from the start to be turbocharged and used in a truck application, therefore the necessary design elements (head clamp load, oil cooled pistons, connecting rod strength, etc) are already in place to be able to meet durability requirements, which don’t vary by engine.

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously we're all very passionate about our trucks, that's really what stands out the most to me about us ford raptor owners. Both Gens are great in their own way to me 6.2 V8 is more proper in a truck and sounds better like a truck should but it's just my old school opinion not based on anything or to say anything bad about the Gen2. In fact I went Fox 3.0 and Whipple to try and keep up with the Gen2 and soon doing forged internals and upping boost to about 800hp to whip on the TRX , all in good fun tho. No one can deny the G2 is more powerful and lighter and comes with better gear off the assembly line and no doubt built by ford to exceed reliability standards. That's just the nature of these things. As new models come out they have to be better than the previous models. Of course they can't please everyone in the process, you just have to see each truck for what it is and decide if it's for you. I can't speak on reliability or hate on the G2 simply because I've never owned one and I'd guess that most G2 owners have never owned a Gen1 so they don't know why we're so stuck on them and their 6.2's. If you're lucky enough to own any ford raptor and you take the thing off road then you're already sold on it being the best and that's all good by me. I'm just looking forward to seein what ford has in store for the future. Both excited and afraid actually lol I have so much $ in my current truck I'm excited they'll come out with something so badass but afraid that I won't be able to resist selling and starting over ‍♂️

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Wampa! Thanks for liking my response. I was just watching your video on your take in owning both the G1 and G2. Great stuff. I made sure to subscribe, I race cars also so looking forward to all of your content. That short video Clip of your previous trip looked like Texana Ranch, was it and were you at TRR2021?
Anyway I think you agree there's no wrong or right ford raptor, there's only the right raptor for each individuals likes wants and goals. Now let's all just get along or else lmao

Wampa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Wampa! Thanks for liking my response. I was just watching your video on your take in owning both the G1 and G2. Great stuff. I made sure to subscribe, I race cars also so looking forward to all of your content. That short video Clip of your previous trip looked like Texana Ranch, was it and were you at TRR2021?
Anyway I think you agree there's no wrong or right ford raptor, there's only the right raptor for each individuals likes wants and goals. Now let's all just get along or else lmao
Thanks man and your response is spot on. Can't go wrong either way, just comes down to personal preference. If it wasn't for the Gen 2 coming out with the speed/performance capabilities, I would have never have purchased a Gen 1.

The clip in the recent video was from a trip in Wyoming last month.

Badass you race cars too - I cannot wait to get back into one to start hitting the track again.

breezy

Reaction score
Not sure what is happening here in this thread haha... but I traded my Gen 1 for a Gen 2 this week.

In my mind, if you are hardcore off-roading, get the Gen 1.

If you are going to be commuting or hauling family and then use it for camping and state parks and such then no question get the Gen 2, it's a much, much nicer truck. Especially if money is not a factor. The different in MPG is not minor IMO. I compared a 55k mile Gen 1 to a 50k mile Gen 2 so I think I made an apt comparison and no regrets with the Gen 2. I also compared 100k mile trucks and the differences were similar, the Gen 2 is by far the best commuter.

As far as tech is concerned it's easy to add a HU with carplay in Gen 1. It's not as complicated as things sound.

WHBD

Reaction score
Not sure what is happening here in this thread haha... but I traded my Gen 1 for a Gen 2 this week.

In my mind, if you are hardcore off-roading, get the Gen 1.

If you are going to be commuting or hauling family and then use it for camping and state parks and such then no question get the Gen 2, it's a much, much nicer truck. Especially if money is not a factor. The different in MPG is not minor IMO. I compared a 55k mile Gen 1 to a 50k mile Gen 2 so I think I made an apt comparison and no regrets with the Gen 2. I also compared 100k mile trucks and the differences were similar, the Gen 2 is by far the best commuter.

As far as tech is concerned it's easy to add a HU with carplay in Gen 1. It's not as complicated as things sound.
Wish I got those 3.0’s off of you first!