Having Trouble Deciding Between Gen 1 vs Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll answer my question for you..

The only thing on a Gen 2 that is more reliable than a Gen 1 is the power steering system. Ford got the 15+ EPAS right.

breezy

Reaction score
Wish I got those 3.0’s off of you first!
Man I know! I would have liked to pull some stuff off of mine before trading it but unfortunately I was on a timeline. I could have saved myself a bunch of money by waiting as well.

Panaraptor

Reaction score
You rely on “real world experience, not data” :jester:

There are no “alternative motives” here Mr. conspiracy theorist. The only thing you should be sorry about is that you’re spreading misinformation. You’re making the assumption that the engine will not last as long simply based on displacement and the fact that it’s turbocharged. That’s simple minded nonsense with no validity. There is no part of the engine that is going to wear out prematurely due to lower displacement or forced induction.

The Gen 2 EcoBoost was engineered from the start to be turbocharged and used in a truck application, therefore the necessary design elements (head clamp load, oil cooled pistons, connecting rod strength, etc) are already in place to be able to meet durability requirements, which don’t vary by engine.
Misinformation? Conspiracy theories? And you don’t know the value of real world experience vs third party “data”? You are a democrat!

Anyway, it sounds to me like you’re trying to convince yourself. Your argument that it was engineered that way and therefore must be reliable is pretty funny. With that reasoning, any vehicle ever build must be reliable.

Ford mechanics have real world experience and most prefer the coyote or 6.2 over the ecoboost.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In his mind, the total lack of a turbo system does not make the system more reliable.

That's just simply wrong.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Misinformation? Conspiracy theories? And you don’t know the value of real world experience vs third party “data”? You are a democrat!

Anyway, it sounds to me like you’re trying to convince yourself. Your argument that it was engineered that way and therefore must be reliable is pretty funny. With that reasoning, any vehicle ever build must be reliable.

Ford mechanics have real world experience and most prefer the coyote or 6.2 over the ecoboost.
You have no “real world experience”. That’s the problem. You would need to have bought both trucks brand new and driven each 200k+ miles to have anything resembling “experience”. Anyone who brings politics into a automotive discussion is a mental case and grasping at straws.

You stated that the engine won’t last as long based on it’s displacement and the fact that it’s turbocharged. You have no “real world experience” nor is there any data to support that. Therefore it’s baseless and simply wrong. You are trying to convince yourself that your biased opinion and worthless assumptions mean something.

Then you claim “most Ford mechanics” prefer the 5.0 or 6.2? Based on what? Did you send out a little survey in the mail lol? Everything you’re claiming is BS, you’re just are making a joke of yourself.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In his mind, the total lack of a turbo system does not make the system more reliable.

That's just simply wrong.
You just can’t get over the fact that a property maintained turbo system isn’t “unreliable”.

You better tell all of the diesel owners with hundreds of thousands of miles how “unreliable” their turbos systems are :jester:

Panaraptor

Reaction score
You just can’t get over the fact that a property maintained turbo system isn’t “unreliable”.

You better tell all of the diesel owners with hundreds of thousands of miles how “unreliable” their turbos systems are :jester:
Dude, seriously, lay off the soy and chill out. You’re the one making a fool of himself by not accepting well-known simple facts.

Do yourself a favor and walk into any Ford dealership and ask each mechanic whether a naturally aspirated, large displacement gasoline motor or a turbo charged, small displacement, GDI motor is more reliable. Just prepare yourself emotionally for some one-sided answers. Wouldn’t want to spoil those hard-working mechanic’s day with your denial induced hissy fits. LOL

As for your comparison to turbo charged Diesel engines, you’re wrong again! Diesel engines have much larger crankshafts, camshafts, and cylinders, as well as larger bearing sizes. That’s why they have larger oil and coolant capacities, which protects the engine. Diesel fuel is also like a light oil, which lubricates much better than acidic solvent-like gasoline, which is more corrosive. Diesel engines also operate at much lower RPM’s than gasoline engines and therefore wear out less.

So, to quote your favorite most prestigious and righteous doctor Fauci, “you don’t know what you’re talking about!”

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, seriously, lay off the soy and chill out. You’re the one making a fool of himself by not accepting well-known simple facts.

Do yourself a favor and walk into any Ford dealership and ask each mechanic whether a naturally aspirated, large displacement gasoline motor or a turbo charged, small displacement, GDI motor is more reliable. Just prepare yourself emotionally for some one-sided answers. Wouldn’t want to spoil those hard-working mechanic’s day with your denial induced hissy fits. LOL

As for your comparison to turbo charged Diesel engines, you’re wrong again! Diesel engines have much larger crankshafts, camshafts, and cylinders, as well as larger bearing sizes. That’s why they have larger oil and coolant capacities, which protects the engine. Diesel fuel is also like a light oil, which lubricates much better than acidic solvent-like gasoline, which is more corrosive. Diesel engines also operate at much lower RPM’s than gasoline engines and therefore wear out less.

So, to quote your favorite most prestigious and righteous doctor Fauci, “you don’t know what you’re talking about!”

You are actually right in this statement. I don’t take any Fordtechone advice seriously anymore. Something seems way off there since there is no admittance of the true, real design issues this crapoboost faces.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You call them "well known simple facts"...yet you still don't have any. All you do is repeat the same nonsense over and over again.

Where do you think I worked for years lol? With other Ford technicians! Many drove EcoBoosts, both 2.7 and 3.5. Your statement is baseless. Only a caveman would ignore engineering principles and make the baseless claim that engine reliability is based solely on cylinder count or the type of aspiration. Sorry, but your job at Walmart doesn't qualify you as a professional in the automotive field.

Diesel engines have larger crankshafts and camshafts and cylinders and bearings? LOL wow guy, thanks for educating us all with your supreme knowledge!

And what does the Chief Medical Advisor have to do with an engine discussion? You're really wacked out of your mind. I bet you think you know more about medicine than doctors, just like you know more about vehicles than engineers :hahano::hahano::hahano:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are actually right in this statement. I don’t take any Fordtechone advice seriously anymore. Something seems way off there since there is no admittance of the true, real design issues this crapoboost faces.
I'll assume you're kidding...you joined last month. Or is this Kuan reincarnated?