GEN 1 Harsh 5-4 Downshift and Hesitation at Highway Speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, if they rebuild it, as complicated as a modern transmission is, I don't trust much of anyone around here to rebuild it. I may consider having a reputable shop somewhere do it and go ahead and upgrade it rather than buying a new transmission. I'll have to do some research and find some reliable shops.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

It seems like the transmissions in these trucks are only good for 100k miles. That seems to be the time they go based on some of the threads that pop up around here. If you are looking into upgrades this site has some interesting stuff for the 6r80 Exedy Stage 2, Exedy Stage 1 6R80 Friction Kits are our answer for the daily driven Mustang up to 500 HP

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
It seems like the transmissions in these trucks are only good for 100k miles. That seems to be the time they go based on some of the threads that pop up around here. If you are looking into upgrades this site has some interesting stuff for the 6r80 Exedy Stage 2, Exedy Stage 1 6R80 Friction Kits are our answer for the daily driven Mustang up to 500 HP
I'm thinking:

-torque converter
-sonnax zip kit
-upgraded clutch packs
-upgrade input, intermediate and output shafts.

Apparently the planetary gears in this transmission are good but things like the clutch packs, valves, seals, bushings, etc are pretty crappy.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking:

-torque converter
-sonnax zip kit
-upgraded clutch packs
-upgrade input, intermediate and output shafts.

Apparently the planetary gears in this tranmission are good but things like the clutch packs, valves, seals, bushings, etc are pretty crappy.

Yeah. My buddies transmission went at 25k and he was told the clutches went bad. He said the trans was slipping and at times it felt like he was getting rear ended. Keep us updated with what you do.

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
you had rear end trouble to right? or was that something else
I did. I snapped the passenger side axle shaft at the splines. When it snapped, it took out the rear diff and a lot of bearings. Since the transmission couldn't slow down since it didn't have any pressure on the driveline, it grinded going into park twice. Once when it happened on the track at raptoberfest and again when I put it in park back at the pits. There doesn't seem to be any damage to the parking gear but there very well could be damage.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Yeah. My buddies transmission went at 25k and he was told the clutches went bad. He said the trans was slipping and at times it felt like he was getting rear ended. Keep us updated with what you do.
That's my issue with going back to a brand new stock one. What if it doesn't last 114k miles like my current one did. The brand new one could last only 25k and Then I'm back to square 1. I'd rather upgrade it and do it right the first time.

OP
OP
Raptor Embroidery

Raptor Embroidery

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a built lightning and raptor both built by A1 performance transmissions in Georgia. He was having the same issues as me at 130k miles on his 2010 and he had A1 install the sonnax zip kit and it fixed all of the problems that the 6R80 is known for.

-harsh engagement
-harsh park gear release
-delayed up/down shifts
-harsh up/down shifts

If this fixes it, I'll be about $1-1500k down but I'll have a transmission that performs better than stock and should be more reliable.

The problem is that the valves in the valve body are cheaply made from plastic or aluminum and they will start to leak over time. Hopefully I'll be good to go after this upgrade. Apparently the 6R80 is strong. He also stated that the 5.0 auto mustangs have been holding 900 hp without issue. Hopefully the zip kit will fix my issues!

I'll keep everyone updated.

Here's the kit

3ad76cc9172d67b92e6fbe345bc0090d.jpg