Hardwiring a radar detector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite as easy to find a ground...

I hardwired my ****** radar detector to AUX switch 6 today. Even though it takes one of the switches out, I like having the ability to switch it off. I had the mirror tap in my 2013 raptor and it worked great, but with 2 more switches in the 2017, I decided to go this route. The process is a little different than my previous raptor with the power connection and pass through connecting under the hood. Here is how I did it.....

1. connected "AUX 6" wires together under the hood (yellow/purple wires) so the pass through would work in the cabin connection (knock out panel on passenger side, same as prior raptor).

2. connected "hot" direct wire from radar detector to the yellow/purple AUX 6 wire in the cabin knock out panel. Then, I tried to find a spot to attach the ground connection of the direct wire, but that was a little trickier than i expected. the easily accessible ground spots all seemed to be aluminum (bolts & screws), except for a ground screw to the right of the fuse box in the knock out panel. It's not easy to get to, but it seems to be the best option.......I haven't connected anything directly under the hood yet, but the ground options seem to be much more easily accessible.

3. running the wire from the panel up around the door and windshield is fairly easy and the wire tucks in very easily. Now I'm just waiting on my new blend mount that fits the detector and I'll be in business...

Here are pictures of:

(1) under the hood connection from power (left set of wires) to pass through wire (right set of wires) - notice AUX 6 wires are connected and I heat wrapped them
(2) knock out panel wires - notice the red wire from my radar detector direct wire is connected to AUX 6 wire
(3) ground wire is connected to the only reachable grounding spot i could find nearby. This was the tricky part I mentioned above.

Attachments

• image1-3.jpg
    image1-3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image2-2.jpg
    image2-2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 229
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
OP
OP
Cusenation7

Cusenation7

Reaction score
I hardwired my ****** radar detector to AUX switch 6 today. Even though it takes one of the switches out, I like having the ability to switch it off. I had the mirror tap in my 2013 raptor and it worked great, but with 2 more switches in the 2017, I decided to go this route. The process is a little different than my previous raptor with the power connection and pass through connecting under the hood. Here is how I did it.....

1. connected "AUX 6" wires together under the hood (yellow/purple wires) so the pass through would work in the cabin connection (knock out panel on passenger side, same as prior raptor).

2. connected "hot" direct wire from radar detector to the yellow/purple AUX 6 wire in the cabin knock out panel. Then, I tried to find a spot to attach the ground connection of the direct wire, but that was a little trickier than i expected. the easily accessible ground spots all seemed to be aluminum (bolts & screws), except for a ground screw to the right of the fuse box in the knock out panel. It's not easy to get to, but it seems to be the best option.......I haven't connected anything directly under the hood yet, but the ground options seem to be much more easily accessible.

3. running the wire from the panel up around the door and windshield is fairly easy and the wire tucks in very easily. Now I'm just waiting on my new blend mount that fits the detector and I'll be in business....

I should have taken some pictures, but can add some if this doesn't make sense....

I was actually thinking about hooking it up to Aux switch as well. Once I take delivery, I'll take a peak as the upfitter switches. If I need some pictures of how you did it I may ask. Thanks.

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about the AUX switch as well, but I loved the simplicity of the mirror tap. Automatic on and auto off right when the truck shuts off.

Attachments

• IMG_7120.jpg
    IMG_7120.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 203

Backwoods

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huge help! Thanks Backwoods!

No voltage stepdown needed for the Radar Detector right?

And that bolt you used for grounding ~ Is that the bolt in the 3rd picture behind the red wire?

Appreciate it!

No voltage step-down needed. There was an inline fuse in my direct wire (from blend mount) that could probably be removed, but I just left it in there. Yes - the bolt is the one right behind the red wire. Not a great shot but if you look close you will see the black wire connection coming in from the left of the bolt. It looks like it should be an easy thing to reach, but it's back from the fuse box and you are already cramped in there under the glove box trying to reach the damn thing. The bolt is aluminum, so it's really light. I'd recommend putting something underneath it when you are loosening it. If it drops, it's gone forever. Good luck with the install. It's fairly simple once you get it started.

The exterior accessory installs should be much easier in this raptor since you can go directly to the power under the hood and won't have to mess with the pass through wires. Haven't done anything there yet, but eagerly awaiting all the lighting mount options.

Kansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question, purchasing a Blendmount as a gift and picking up one for myself as well.
Both vehicles are 17s Platinum and the Raptor

Can anyone confirm which mirror is correct? Anyone have a photo? Blendmount has two options. I think its thefirst one but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks in advance

When I search by vehicle its says "Which F-150 mirror do you have?"
image_3.jpeg

This is mine but i have 802a and Rap Tech... not sure which of those is the Adaptive Cruise Control but from what I've read that what gives you this mirror?:

43DmM9t.jpg

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to use the mirror Tap with the adaptive cruise mirror? Where did you access the wires?