Hard fold vs retractable tonneau

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide which type to get. Is one more water resistant than the other? I currently have a solid fiberglass, and I know neither of these are as water resistant as that, but it‘s a pain to haul taller items. So I’m looking for a new type for my incoming 22. Thanks.

GoldBeach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the retractable from the factory. It isn't supposed to be water tight, but I haven't had much water get in mine if any. I've had snow piled on it and a few inches of rain fall on it without noticing anything getting in. I also pressure wash it.

Troubleman

Reaction score
I have the retrax and I can say I actually love it. I never intended to use my truck for transporting anything large so it fits the bill perfectly. It is an all around solid product, Currently mine is pretty water tight with only the expected drip or two so I’m happy with it. I wish I could have some type of metal tool box underside though to transport recovery equipment but in this case I guess I can’t have the sleek look without having a large rack or minus the bed cover. I think you’ll be really happy with the retrax.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on if you offroad or not. the vibrations cause issues with the mechanics of the the retrax. have had to fix several on trail over the years. but then the tri fold causes you to not be able to look out your back window. i have the revolver x2. has held up well but the vinyl top is starting to lift on the edges now. but it is 4 years old now.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have the bakflip mx4 new in the garage waiting on my truck to be delivered. I ordered from RealTruck that gave this forum a hell of a black Friday discount.

I love the retrax, great looking and secure and recommend to anyone that doesn't need to remove it on occasion and can afford the loss of a foot of bed space. I went trifold because I can remove the trifold in minutes and use the whole bed to load motorcycles etc.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the weather tech trifold for my last two F150s and they have been great. 99.9% water tight unles you spray a jet of water directly at the seals but for standard rain and environment, dry.

Plus it holds 400 lbs which I have taken advantage of and it only weighs 50 lbs.

Their warranty is awesome. The v1 version had an issue with the folding seal, contacted them and they gave me a brand new one after 2 years.

Plus 100% American made, he treats his employees awesome and truly supports the local community. David supports all motorsports and is always supporting US based items. Makes it an easy choice to spend my money locally

OP
OP
DocMarshall

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the bakflip mx4 new in the garage waiting on my truck to be delivered. I ordered from RealTruck that gave this forum a hell of a black Friday discount.

I love the retrax, great looking and secure and recommend to anyone that doesn't need to remove it on occasion and can afford the loss of a foot of bed space. I went trifold because I can remove the trifold in minutes and use the whole bed to load motorcycles etc.
So how far down does the canister go? Can I still slide a few sheets of plywood under it?

OP
OP
DocMarshall

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on if you offroad or not. the vibrations cause issues with the mechanics of the the retrax. have had to fix several on trail over the years. but then the tri fold causes you to not be able to look out your back window. i have the revolver x2. has held up well but the vinyl top is starting to lift on the edges now. but it is 4 years old now.
I don't offroad, at least not currently.