Going from Geisers to something else - opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently put on the geiser front springs with the rear icon leafs (option 2 of 2.25"). The ride up front is to firm for my liking and I prefer the softer feeling that the stock springs offered. My wife actually drives my truck frequently too and she is not a fan of the geisers either. As part of the front spring change, I plan on putting the rear icon leafs to option 1, which will raise it 1" from stock and maintain the stock spring rate (option 2 was +20%). My ultimate goal is to get 1-1.5" of height in the front, so after adjusting the rear leafs the truck will maintain the factory rake or it will be reduced by 0.5". At the same time I want to maintain the soft feeling and ride quality of the stock setup. I would like to get this right this time around since I don't want to pay for something I don't like. Below is what I was considering.

Option 1) perch collar - these are cheap and people seem to say the ride and performance is not affected. If I only set the preload to 1.5" vs say 2.25" then how different would the ride be from factory? If 1.5" negatively impacts the feel, would 1" keep it the same as factory?

Option 2) 3.0 coilovers - these are way too much for how I use the truck at this point in my life, but I have read that you can ultimately control how hard or soft the suspension feels as well as the ride height. If was able to raise the front 1.5" while keeping a factory feel I would be pleased with this minus the cost.

Due to a move, I have no tools or space to do this work, so I will be paying to have it done. I have read a lot of the posts and am currently leaning towards the collars but only if the factory feel will be maintained at 1-1.5" On the Geisers many people said "stiffened things up and it is awesome", definitely not for me. Since my springs must come off to put the factory ones back on, I am sort of impartial to what brand of collar so feel free to suggest what you like. Otherwise I will go with the icon ones since I have the rear leafs.

Below are some pics of how the truck currently sits. Truck 1.jpg Truck 2.jpg

Thanks, Jeff

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
35-32 cheaper in a 17 quicker than anything

Last edited:

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little Gen 1 idea, When I got my Geisers, I too was surprised how stiff the suspension became. So, I pulled One of my sway bar end links to simulate how my truck would feel without it, and now, I don't run one. It has also made the front end significantly smoother.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I got the fox 3.0's I had RPG 1.5 collars and I was really happy with how they rode. Barely different from stock but just the slightest amount stiffer. They were really nice. Having said that though after getting the fox 3.0's on its night and day difference. I love having the adjustability but if I wasn't using the truck offroad I would have stuck with the RPG collars and been very happy!

OP
OP
scmsltn

scmsltn

Reaction score
Before I got the fox 3.0's I had RPG 1.5 collars and I was really happy with how they rode. Barely different from stock but just the slightest amount stiffer. They were really nice. Having said that though after getting the fox 3.0's on its night and day difference. I love having the adjustability but if I wasn't using the truck offroad I would have stuck with the RPG collars and been very happy!

Thanks for the reply, it’s helpful cuz you have had both the options I am considering.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Set your air pressure before you do anything. Look up the load chart for your tire. That will tell you how low you can go. You should be able to go 35 /32 on factory rubber. If you are running 20's then there is not much suspension in tires. I have geisers and deaver hds and look for speed bumps

OP
OP
scmsltn

scmsltn

Reaction score
Set your air pressure before you do anything. Look up the load chart for your tire. That will tell you how low you can go. You should be able to go 35 /32 on factory rubber. If you are running 20's then there is not much suspension in tires. I have geisers and deaver hds and look for speed bumps

I still have the factory tires and will check the air pressure; however, pressure being consistent before and after the geiser’s the geiser’s really firmed things up. I slow down for speed bumps with this setup.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Firmer suspension so tire pressure has bigger impact. I think 2500 lbs per tire is rated capacity at 35 psi for a 315 70 17
You need minimum 1500 lbs.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
25 psi is the rated pressure to carry 1800 pounds. So you have to dial in ride. 35 33 should be a good place to start. But you are the captain of the ship

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got collars and I'm removing them and going with eibachs since they are a linear spring instead of something progressive like the geiser springs. Just got my icon rear leafs so that's all getting swapped out here in a couple of weeks. If you want icon collars I'll sell you mine