Giant motorsports ddl kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIY-DF

Reaction score
Update for anyone that finds / reads this thread . Giant is now selling this as a 3 link setup for 3500 less bed cage or 2100 as a weld it your self kit . He doesn’t make the bed cage anymore so that’s a little bit of a bummer but sells the upper bracket for shock / bypass mounting so it isn’t that bad. and says that they can pull around 24” of travel out of it. I’m stacking up parts now to do this swap now and if I get a chance will post up pics. I think it’s a much overlooked affordable option that allows you to keep a lot of your bed which is huge for a DD situation

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@DIY-DF One of the tings that was never really discussed here is the load/force that linking (4 link, 3 Link, short course etc) puts into the stock frame.
The frame area where the factory bumps are was designed to be a crumple zone in a rear inpact so if you are adding any type of link set up without caging the truck front to back you will need to add some stiffness to that crumple area. At a minimum you will need to do some plate work to the frame. Probably wise to fish plate that weak spot and weld the bump stops to the plate work.
Just adding a bedcage will not stiffen it enough, the frame flexes a lot.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@DIY-DF One of the tings that was never really discussed here is the load/force that linking (4 link, 3 Link, short course etc) puts into the stock frame.
The frame area where the factory bumps are was designed to be a crumple zone in a rear inpact so if you are adding any type of link set up without caging the truck front to back you will need to add some stiffness to that crumple area. At a minimum you will need to do some plate work to the frame. Probably wise to fish plate that weak spot and weld the bump stops to the plate work.
Just adding a bedcage will not stiffen it enough, the frame flexes a lot.
All of the links should attach up forward on the frame. What approximately 55”?

Kibbetech has some good photos of their kit and you can more or less see what they do to stiffen the factor frame up.

I am working on a traction bar/anti-wrap link that will act/look similar to a three link. I plan to add some bracing to take out the reactions of the anti wrap link.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All of the links should attach up forward on the frame. What approximately 55”?

Kibbetech has some good photos of their kit and you can more or less see what they do to stiffen the factor frame up.

I am working on a traction bar/anti-wrap link that will act/look similar to a three link. I plan to add some bracing to take out the reactions of the anti wrap link.
I guess I should have been more clear. Yes all the link mounts are forward of the weak spot, but if you dont stiffen that area the frame will flex and potentially crack the bedcage mounts especially if they are welded on.
@Jakenbake have you checked out the shortcourse setup that Christian Ewing (Wings World on YouTube) builds? Pretty cool set up.
I have been wanting to do a 3-link (Technically a 4 if you count panhard) so I can use the stock 36 gallon tank. Will definately need to plate the area around bumps for that setup.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear. Yes all the link mounts are forward of the weak spot, but if you dont stiffen that area the frame will flex and potentially crack the bedcage mounts especially if they are welded on.
@Jakenbake have you checked out the shortcourse setup that Christian Ewing (Wings World on YouTube) builds? Pretty cool set up.
I have been wanting to do a 3-link (Technically a 4 if you count panhard) so I can use the stock 36 gallon tank. Will definately need to plate the area around bumps for that setup.
Gotcha, and I would say most stiffen that area up when they weld in the bumpstops.

Yes sir, I love that truck. Should be getting a new video on YouTube this week with some driving. Same here, the triangulated 4 link is cool and a larger fuel cell would be neat, but……. I would probably end up same as you with 3 link plus panhard.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Right about now, a smart fabricator would be cloning the 3rd Gen's 5 link system and planning to mass-produce a knock off kit. Get a reasonable priced coil spring, choose a quality shock, and start marketing it to the millions of F150 owners looking for a better ride.