GEN 2 Getting Started ECU Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I get started engine tuning on my Raptor? I have tuned imports (with stand alone EMS’s) and my Evo using a Tactrix cable. What do I need to tune a Raptor? Does it have a wideband O2 sensor stock or do I need to buy one? What tools do I need to data log?

Seems like everyone on here is using off-the-shelf tunes which I wouldn’t recommend based on my experience with other cars but maybe it’s different for a Raptor?

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Raptor has one wideband per bank with full-time closed loop fueling, so no need for external widebands or other sensors. If you purchase an Accessport, you can get our Accesstuner program to either start fresh from a stock calibration or use our OTS as a base. Fair warning - Ford EcoBoost calibration is a lot more complicated than what's found on the Evo ECU, so be prepared for a lot of learning. We have a lot of public documentation for Ford EcoBoost tuning and Raptor tuning specifically that will be helpful if you choose to pursue this route.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was curious about this too. Good to know. I’ve done several subarus and a little on HPTuners on my CTS-V but never had the time to fully dial that in once I started having kids. They’re starting school in the next couple years so hoping to get back in it a little bit.

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor has one wideband per bank with full-time closed loop fueling, so no need for external widebands or other sensors. If you purchase an Accessport, you can get our Accesstuner program to either start fresh from a stock calibration or use our OTS as a base. Fair warning - Ford EcoBoost calibration is a lot more complicated than what's found on the Evo ECU, so be prepared for a lot of learning. We have a lot of public documentation for Ford EcoBoost tuning and Raptor tuning specifically that will be helpful if you choose to pursue this route.

I really like the idea of using Cobb software because then I can monitor all the important engine parameters and data log easily. Sounds like a great route to go.

Do you find that the off the shelf tunes are safe to run with modified engines even without Cobb parts? I am buying a front mount intercooler and maybe an air intake but nothing further (performance wise). I also regularly drive between altitudes of 4K and 11k feet, making a tune more complicated?

Has anyone checked the accuracy of the OEM widebands against an aftermarket? My truck tells me it’s running 14:1 pretty much all the time.

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the idea of using Cobb software because then I can monitor all the important engine parameters and data log easily. Sounds like a great route to go.

Do you find that the off the shelf tunes are safe to run with modified engines even without Cobb parts? I am buying a front mount intercooler and maybe an air intake but nothing further (performance wise). I also regularly drive between altitudes of 4K and 11k feet, making a tune more complicated?

Has anyone checked the accuracy of the OEM widebands against an aftermarket? My truck tells me it’s running 14:1 pretty much all the time.

the more I look at it, maybe Cobb is the way to go. Would be nice to get a tune, intake and IC through a single producer. Is this FMIC compatible with the ADD stealth fighter bumper?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the more I look at it, maybe Cobb is the way to go. Would be nice to get a tune, intake and IC through a single producer. Is this FMIC compatible with the ADD stealth fighter bumper?
The tune works with or without the intake so it’ll likely work fine with any decent intake. But I did go with Cobb for both. No intercooler for me.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

OTS maps should work with the vast majority of intercoolers and intakes, so long as they don't pose any significant increase in restriction to airflow compared to our parts (around which the OTS maps were designed). All Raptor OTS maps have been tested up to around ~10000ft., as well as cold climates (Michigan winter) and hot climates (Texas summer and Saudi Arabia).

The O2 sensor data used by the ECU (and viewable/loggable from the Accessport) appears to be very accurate, but some of the instrument cluster data displays are off by a bit. Why, I'm not sure.

The COBB FMIC was designed to be compatible with frame-cut bumpers, so you should be good to go!

Drofwarc58

Reaction score
One mans experience here but I put the whole Cobb stage 2 (FMIC, CAI, + accessport) package on my 2018 at around 1000 miles. Everything has worked flawlessly so far (5000 miles since install). After about 1000 miles of using off the shelf 93 octane tunes provided on the AP I had a custom tune done by goostuned. Very happy with that as well.

Next: waiting on Cobb for newly released downpipes and transmission tune.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Cobb stage 2 and have gotten a noticeable difference in performance in San Francisco Bay Area. Have not taken it up to the mountain yet. I will post to see how it runs in the mountain when winter comes in a few months.

OP
OP
TurboTJ

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OTS maps should work with the vast majority of intercoolers and intakes, so long as they don't pose any significant increase in restriction to airflow compared to our parts (around which the OTS maps were designed). All Raptor OTS maps have been tested up to around ~10000ft., as well as cold climates (Michigan winter) and hot climates (Texas summer and Saudi Arabia).

The O2 sensor data used by the ECU (and viewable/loggable from the Accessport) appears to be very accurate, but some of the instrument cluster data displays are off by a bit. Why, I'm not sure.

The COBB FMIC was designed to be compatible with frame-cut bumpers, so you should be good to go!

Does it come with a way to mount the adaptive cruise control module out of the way of the ADD bumper?

Thanks for providing all the information! I think I’m gonna go with the Cobb stage 2.

Crazy how much is closed loop now. Once they start running combustion pressure sensors, everything will be closed loop!!

One mans experience here but I put the whole Cobb stage 2 (FMIC, CAI, + accessport) package on my 2018 at around 1000 miles. Everything has worked flawlessly so far (5000 miles since install). After about 1000 miles of using off the shelf 93 octane tunes provided on the AP I had a custom tune done by goostuned. Very happy with that as well.

Next: waiting on Cobb for newly released downpipes and transmission tune.

That’s great to hear! This is the exact info I’m looking for.