GEN3 37 Package - shutter/vibration in steering wheel/suspension on bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OCGen3

Reaction score
The shocks are controlled by the VDM; if there is an issue with any component or the calibration there will be associated DTCs. Is the truck stock?

Since you have ForScan, check to see if DTC B162F:13 is stored in the BCM-C. If so there is a Service Message (51160) to reprogram the BCM-C to resolve the issue. The service message is for 21-22 models and it’s symptom coded under Ride Quality > Harsh.
Thanks FTO. It’s completely stock, I’ll take a look at the log again but I don’t remember seeing that. I’m not far from SDI headquarters so I may see if they can take a look at what the truck is reading in real time. Appreciate everyone’s help.

OCGen3

Reaction score
The shocks are controlled by the VDM; if there is an issue with any component or the calibration there will be associated DTCs. Is the truck stock?

Since you have ForScan, check to see if DTC B162F:13 is stored in the BCM-C. If so there is a Service Message (51160) to reprogram the BCM-C to resolve the issue. The service message is for 21-22 models and its symptom coded under Ride Quality > Harsh.
No code in the BCM-C unfortunately. Would a solenoid sending inconsistent or inaccurate data possibly have this effect? The only thing noticeable from the live data is that the RR height sensor occasionally shows small high frequency movements when at rest while the other 3 are rock solid.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No code in the BCM-C unfortunately. Would a solenoid sending inconsistent or inaccurate data possibly have this effect? The only thing noticeable from the live data is that the RR height sensor occasionally shows small high frequency movements when at rest while the other 3 are rock solid.
If a solenoid is outside of specification the VDM will set a corresponding DTC. It’s possible that the RR ride height sensor is experiencing an in-range type of failure, meaning the module often won’t set a DTC but the data it’s receiving is not accurate and therefore causing performance issues for the entire system.

OCGen3

Reaction score
Quick update on my end for those that are having similar chattery/rough ride issues and vibrations. I took my truck to two dealerships in an attempt to get someone to acknowledge and address the issue, without success. However on a recent visit for an oil change I took one more shot and asked if there might be an employee or manager that owns a raptor that might be willing to drive my truck and sure enough there was. He immediately noticed that something was off with the ride and could feel every bump and manhole cover he drove over, just as I had been describing. Long story short this employee is a long time raptor enthusiast and has ties to RPG (he actually drove my truck to their shop to have them take a look at it) and confirmed the issue to a degree that the dealership now has an open hotline with Ford to start working on remedying the issue. Of course now the AWU strike has the hotline shutdown but between Ford and the guys at RPG, who have integral knowledge of the LiveValve system, I feel like I'm at least on a path. The initial feedback I've received is that it appears to be either a sensor or VDM issue where the truck believes it is in the air and firms up all of the shocks, which makes sense given then I have such a rough ride in the initial stroke of the travel but it softens up over slow deep compressions. I'll try to keep everyone updated with any progress in hopes that it can help others with similar issues.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update on my end for those that are having similar chattery/rough ride issues and vibrations. I took my truck to two dealerships in an attempt to get someone to acknowledge and address the issue, without success. However on a recent visit for an oil change I took one more shot and asked if there might be an employee or manager that owns a raptor that might be willing to drive my truck and sure enough there was. He immediately noticed that something was off with the ride and could feel every bump and manhole cover he drove over, just as I had been describing. Long story short this employee is a long time raptor enthusiast and has ties to RPG (he actually drove my truck to their shop to have them take a look at it) and confirmed the issue to a degree that the dealership now has an open hotline with Ford to start working on remedying the issue. Of course now the AWU strike has the hotline shutdown but between Ford and the guys at RPG, who have integral knowledge of the LiveValve system, I feel like I'm at least on a path. The initial feedback I've received is that it appears to be either a sensor or VDM issue where the truck believes it is in the air and firms up all of the shocks, which makes sense given then I have such a rough ride in the initial stroke of the travel but it softens up over slow deep compressions. I'll try to keep everyone updated with any progress in hopes that it can help others with similar issues.
any updates here. I had the ssm51160 done to my truck yesterday and it made a massive difference, even more so after i did a ride height recalibration. Before i did the recal, i could feel the chattering in the front shocks over small to medium bumps, and even after the recal i can tell its there but it is muted with the suspension no longer riding overly stiff

OCGen3

Reaction score
any updates here. I had the ssm51160 done to my truck yesterday and it made a massive difference, even more so after i did a ride height recalibration. Before i did the recal, i could feel the chattering in the front shocks over small to medium bumps, and even after the recal i can tell its there but it is muted with the suspension no longer riding overly stiff
No change for me yet, I’ll mention what you did to my service rep. I’ve been in a holding pattern since the UAW went on strike and no one has been available to respond to the dealer’s hot line request…..

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No change for me yet, I’ll mention what you did to my service rep. I’ve been in a holding pattern since the UAW went on strike and no one has been available to respond to the dealer’s hot line request…..
any updates here? taking my truck back in as the chattery ride over small bumps seems to be getting worse. offroad it feels like im driving over a washboard constantly.

OCGen3

Reaction score
Not yet, UAW strike continues to keep me in a holding pattern as the dealer is waiting for hotline response from Ford how best to move forward. I sent along info on your SSM5160 work but didn't receive response though it sounds like that wasn't a true fix so will probably steer clear of that and try and address the larger issue. Will circle back if I get any additional feedback.

CHATTY3030

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2022 37 package with 11,500 miles and it does this exact same thing. Like others have mentioned it drives me absolutely crazy considering the price tag on these. Every man hole, crack in road, depressions, it sounds very clunky and not well connected. To me mine sounds like it’s coming from the front. I also purchased with aftermarket wheels and tires. Recently purchased a set of OEM’s from a Raptor R and will see if that makes any difference. Sounds like it won’t based on other posts here. I’ve got an appointment 12/4 to have some things done which includes mounting new wheels and tires, balance and alignment. This really could be a deal breaker for me at the end of the day considering there are small bumps and manholes on any road. It’s super harsh and uncomfortable and matches what many have said on here. Also other warranty stuff getting done such as to get entire shifter/column replaced, has a clicking sound when you change gears that does not go away and sounds like rocking cradle of clicks, all speakers in vehicle have to be replaced as they are blown and can’t listen to any music, not a joke, USB outlet is loose in the sense it won’t hold a wire in. I’m confident most of this will get done with warranty but still skeptical on the loose clunky sound coming from what seems to be the front left side as this is harder to really diagnose. I’ll be pushing the dealer very hard on this and will provide an update once I have one. Thanks for everyone else’s replies on the issue!

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this sounds like how my trk feels when the drive mode fails , which its done 4x now ! It defaults to full stiff and rides like a old 1 ton.