Gen 3 worth it? Debating backing out for TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjhoneyman

Reaction score
I've been Ford loyal my entire life (family owns a small Ford dealership). I've bought one Mopar product new (2019 Pacifica) for my wife and it was back to the dealership 10 times in the first year. Issues from paint peeling, wheel hubs going out, electrical system issues and multiple recalls. I bought my 2016 F150 new and it's been to the dealer twice, both times for minor recalls. Will never buy a Mopar product again. Replaced the Pacifica with a 2020 Expedition Limited and have no issues. Just my $.02.

OP
OP
Dadlife

Dadlife

Reaction score
No, it doesn't. But I meant the TRX. Have you taken delivery of that? If not, you can probably back out and the dealer will be happy.
The TRX is on the lot. Buyer backed out. I told them id come in today and buy, and have appt. So just trying to figure out my move

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not going to get into reliability because one mans experience doesnt show the full picture.
If the TRX didnt have horrible gas mileage I'll probably be driving one now. I know the Raptor isnt great on gas either but I can imagine the TRX is under 10mpg while doing some spirited driving and that's a little ridiculous. Dealership support worries me for both. Neither of them are known for their customer service.

Btw ..If your Raptor is Orange\white\silver and @ MSRP and you dont want it please share info.

Last edited:

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been Ford loyal my entire life (family owns a small Ford dealership). I've bought one Mopar product new (2019 Pacifica) for my wife and it was back to the dealership 10 times in the first year. Issues from paint peeling, wheel hubs going out, electrical system issues and multiple recalls. I bought my 2016 F150 new and it's been to the dealer twice, both times for minor recalls. Will never buy a Mopar product again. Replaced the Pacifica with a 2020 Expedition Limited and have no issues. Just my $.02.
This right here. My only experience with Mopar was also a Pacifica (2018) We leased it for 3 years and it was in the shop at least 8 times for a multitude of reasons. We also came out WAY a head on that deal as we turned it in at the end of the lease and the value was about $6k under the lease buy out purchase price. When we walked away from that POS I decided I'd never have another one!

JD03Cobra

Reaction score
This right here. My only experience with Mopar was also a Pacifica (2018) We leased it for 3 years and it was in the shop at least 8 times for a multitude of reasons. We also came out WAY a head on that deal as we turned it in at the end of the lease and the value was about $6k under the lease buy out purchase price. When we walked away from that POS I decided I'd never have another one!

These personal experience's are worthless with the overall picture. I have a 2020 Lincoln Aviator fully loaded that has had plenty of issues. I also have a Gen V Viper that is perfect. That said I ordered a Raptor back in January but not willing to pay the extra money for the TRX because I have fast cars. I would buy the TRX if the big HP was of interest. Otherwise stick to the Raptor.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is being discontinued mainly for reasons of meeting emissions and mileage standards with the focus of Ram shifting to electronic technologies and hybrids.

Here is an article from car and driver about it:

TRX is staying, The charger and challenger are going away

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't absolutely drive the Raptor Exactly how and where it was designed to be driven the TRX is the better option IMO.

pghraptor34

Reaction score
Hey Guys, hoping for some feedback from existing gen 3 owners.
Ive been waiting 9 months for my Gen 3 and Ford horrible updates, I committed to a TRX. Of course, this am I get an email that Ford built my truck and will be delivered in 20 days.

So im in a predicament now. The TRX obviously has the power, but thats irrelevant to me. The interior and ride quality sold me, but only in comparisons to my Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Are you guys impressed with the Gen 3 updates, and anyone own both?
If your truck is due here in 20 days I would just take delivery. If you liked your gen 1 and gen 2, it's a solid bet you'll like the gen 3. Once you get it you can decide whether it's a long term keeper or not. Honestly, in this market you'd probably be able to sell/trade in your gen 3 for more than you paid for it(at least a little while longer...). My vote would be take delivery, and if you hate it trade it on the TRX.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The TRX is on the lot. Buyer backed out. I told them id come in today and buy, and have appt. So just trying to figure out my move

I would go get a test drive and see if the dealer can offer you a better deal. Then tell him you'll sleep on it and get back to him tomorrow. Talk it over with the wife or a friend. If you still want it tomorrow, go back to the dealer, ask again if that's the best deal they can make, then make the deal.

If you decide you don't want it, then ask the dealer to hold it for you why you think it over. See how long you can string them along before they look elsewhere.