Gen 3 raptor won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I showed the dealer. They say that it doesn’t fit within the build date range so there is no way that could be the problem.
Consider calling another dealer if the current one can’t isolate the cause. I had an unrelated gps problem that the dealer closest to me couldn’t solve after three visits, but got it fixed at another dealer 45 mins away. This battery issue should be fixable.

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parasitic drain. It's hard to diag but a good tech can figure it out. Like the poster above. Find another dealer and let them know what the previous dealer couldn't do.

RTG

Reaction score
Consider calling another dealer if the current one can’t isolate the cause. I had an unrelated gps problem that the dealer closest to me couldn’t solve after three visits, but got it fixed at another dealer 45 mins away. This battery issue should be fixable.
My new 2008 ford F-350 had a faulty harness. What a nightmare to get diagnosed. Wasted countless days of my life taking that POS in for service only for some idiot to tell me everything’s working fine. AC and other systems would suddenly stop working. Lived in Phoenix, AC was kind of a big deal.

First took it to my dealer, then switched to Sanderson Ford as they had the best service department in Arizona. The last time Sanderson Ford saw the vehicle they told me everything checked out. I was ready to shoot somebody. Luckily the AC wasn’t working when they gave me the keys. Finally they took more than a glance at it and found the problem. Took over a month to get it back from service.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s exactly what I showed the dealer. They say that it doesn’t fit within the build date range so there is no way that could be the problem.

Kudos to you for trying to help them resolve the issue. The service department should not, however, discount the possibility of needing the software update based solely on the date range, that is a poor troubleshooting strategy. Everyone’s probably spot on that it’s a battery drain issue, it’s a matter of figuring out what/where.

Good luck with the fix, hopefully done and dusted in short order.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the actual TSB. see attached

Basically make sure you dont have the zone lighting Power on. This wont turn the lights on, So it would be easy to oversee.

Attachments

• 21-2097_f150_battery_discharge.pdf
    636.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
zboilla

zboilla

Reaction score
Next week will be the 3rd dealership it has been to. It’s like they really don’t want to figure it out. Almost like they just have a book they read from and the battery is the first thing they change. As long as it throws no codes they feel like there isn’t a problem. Cool thing is I now carry an extension cord and a battery charger with me everywhere I go.

ARB

Reaction score
I wonder if the battery is underpowered? Just shooting from the hip here.
I have a 2019 Roush Stage 3 and that battery is a very weak battery for the car. Maybe an aftermarket/better battery would fix the issue? Just a thought.
Shouldn't have to replace a brand new battery though. Weird.

koyojo

Reaction score
Hope this helps.

When you put truck into park. Wait 30second before shutting truck off. OTA update should be coming soon.

I had same issue day 2 of ownership. Luckily have friends in good places, hasn’t happened since.

Last edited:

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next week will be the 3rd dealership it has been to. It’s like they really don’t want to figure it out. Almost like they just have a book they read from and the battery is the first thing they change. As long as it throws no codes they feel like there isn’t a problem. Cool thing is I now carry an extension cord and a battery charger with me everywhere I go.
Dealerships don't like warranty work. Manufacturers pay less for labor than the dealer makes doing non-warranty work. This becomes a bigger problem when there are not qualified mechanics to do the work.

So, they change the battery, Ford pays for the battery and a little labor and you're sent on the way.

Finding the actual cause may take half a day and they'll cover cost, but not much else.

You're probably going to need to get Ford involved.

Also, you might want to order a Topvision jump starter off Amazon. It will fit in the glove box and jump it several times before needing to be recharged.