Gen 3 Powertech Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinned

Reaction score
Wow, I usually park my motorcycle behind my vehicle in the garage. That would be a disaster. How exactly did it open accidentally ?
There is a button at the bottom of the remote, if you double tap it the tailgate opens.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, I usually park my motorcycle behind my vehicle in the garage. That would be a disaster. How exactly did it open accidentally ?
One time I thought I was hitting the remote start and I hit the tailgate button by accident, they are next to each other on the key fob. The other time it somehow got pressed by accident. My buddy has a F-150 King Ranch for 2 years, he said he's done it a few times by accident also. I disabled the remote opener in Forscan. The electric button on the gate still works to open it.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disabled the remote power drop tailgate on mine. After the second time in a year it opened accidentally while in my garage, I disabled it. Way too easy to damage your gate if it opens inside a garage somewhere.
I don’t understand how that “ accidentally “ happens. You have to hit the button twice simultaneously

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t understand how that “ accidentally “ happens. You have to hit the button twice simultaneously
Like I said, one time I thought I was hitting the remote start and they are right next to each other, the other time It happened and I don't know how. I'm definitely not the only one either. There's a reason there is a Forscan code to kill the remote opener. I also see no useful reason for it to begin with, to use it you need to get the fob out and have it in your hand, if you can do that, just push the button on the gate.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I treat the remote tailgate button like a gun. Finger off the trigger/button until absolutely sure it’s safe to fire/push.

OP
OP
Vintage

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, one time I thought I was hitting the remote start and they are right next to each other, the other time It happened and I don't know how. I'm definitely not the only one either. There's a reason there is a Forscan code to kill the remote opener. I also see no useful reason for it to begin with, to use it you need to get the fob out and have it in your hand, if you can do that, just push the button on the gate.
Knowing that you can forscan the remote to kill the button, isn't pushing the button on the tail gate a better option than manually lifting the gate? I do like the fact that you have to double click to drop the gate, it should cut down aliitle on accidents.

Last edited:

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you get the power assist gate, make sure you modify your fob to disable the button. Lots of accidental discharges with the power gate.

Is the tailgate release button part of the powertech package? I know the power tailgate lift is, I thought the release button was standard on everything.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the tailgate release button part of the powertech package? I know the power tailgate lift is, I thought the release button was standard on everything.

Good question. I don't know. I was conflating the two in my mind. I hope the 800a package will come without the release. And will be available with the 37s ... I guess it's good to have dreams.

OP
OP
Vintage

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched in one of the power tailgate videos it has a safety stop going up. I wonder if it has a safety stop going down.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question. I don't know. I was conflating the two in my mind. I hope the 800a package will come without the release. And will be available with the 37s ... I guess it's good to have dreams.

I 'm pretty sure it's standard. If you are going to wire for a locking tailgate, seems like you might as well implement the release as well.

I watched in one of the power tailgate videos it has a safety stop going up. I wonder if it has a safety stop going down.

The existing release doesn't just fall with gravity right now, but goes down slowly (at least mine does). Not sure 'power' lowering the gate would add much value.