Gen 3 Powertech Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's going with the powertech Package on their Gen 3. At first I decided against the Package, but after watching a few videos on it, I changed my mind and will be adding. I didn't think I needed the power tail gate, thought it's one more thing to go wrong. But everyone that has it on their F150's rave about it, so sold on that. The integrated step seems like a cool feature, probably will save on me knees. Also never had the power outlets and thought I can't miss what I don't have. But after further reviews, I figured it sure would come in handy on my job site. In short I spending the $2k for the package.

Last edited:

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's going with the powertech Package on their Gen 3. At first I decided against the Package, but after watching a few videos on it, I changed my mind and will be adding. I didn't think I needed the power tail gate, thought it's one more thing to go wrong. But everyone that has it on their F150's rave about it, so sold on that. The integrated step seems like a cool feature, probably will save on me knees. Also never had the power outlets and thought if I can't miss what I don't have. But after further review, I figured it sure would come in handy on my job site. In short I spending the $2k for it.

watch the recent video posted by the guys from keep it dirty channel, it is such a huge truck you will want the step up to get in the bed. I am getting the tech package as well. The convenience of plugging in right from the bed is too irresistible. The functionality makes it a must for me.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the step is the same as on the gen 2, I wouldn't. I still have gravel rattling around inside my tailgate from a couple of months ago. Occasionally a bit will fall out onto the rear bumper, so I have some hope that the rattle will be gone someday. I've also heard that it makes the tailgate heavy. I've had mine off twice and can attest that it's a heavy SOB. But the step is poorly designed and fiddly, so I never use it. A couple times in the beginning, but I've not used it since and I've been in and out of the bed hundreds and hundreds of times now. If you get the power assist gate, make sure you modify your fob to disable the button. Lots of accidental discharges with the power gate. The plug in the bed would be nice, but I mostly use battery-powered tools these days ... so hard no for me.

OP
OP
Vintage

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
watch the recent video posted by the guys from keep it dirty channel, it is such a huge truck you will want the step up to get in the bed. I am getting the tech package as well. The convenience of plugging in right from the bed is too irresistible. The functionality makes it a must for me.
Lol, the dirty video was one of the videos that changed my mind to get the Packages. They were all over the power tailgate.

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, the dirty video was one of the videos that changed my mind to get the Packages. They were all over the power tailgate.
GordoJay, has a different view above but for me the tailgating will be much simpler. hopefully, I'll keep the rocks out of the tailgate. lol

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally said no to my dealer in regards to this option as well. Now I am thinking I may actually go for the PowerTech. It will be useful for sure.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disabled the remote power drop tailgate on mine. After the second time in a year it opened accidentally while in my garage, I disabled it. Way too easy to damage your gate if it opens inside a garage somewhere.

OP
OP
Vintage

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disabled the remote power drop tailgate on mine. After the second time in a year it opened accidentally while in my garage, I disabled it. Way too easy to damage your gate if it opens inside a garage somewhere.
Wow, I usually park my motorcycle behind my vehicle in the garage. That would be a disaster. How exactly did it open accidentally ?

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine open twice, somehow the button got pushed while in my pocket. Both times I opened the garage door to a wonderful banging sound while it was going up. I took the remote apart from the inside and it won't be happening again!