Gen 2 Sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just cracked 20,000miles. I've done the procedure at least a half dozen times. It's usually because I can't stand the noise anymore. Rather amazed how how quiet things become. Take your time cleaning/ use the right p/n's.
Seems over kill to have to do that for 20,000 miles. I mean the pano roofs are awesome to see through compared to the previous gens, but dang it, that's a lot of maintenance to have to perform.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had my '19 for 2 years now and put 34k on her. Lubed and cleaned it about twice a year. I'd hear creaks and moans from it every now and than. Usually when it was cold or if I was off road. Today I started to hear a rattle in it. I hadn't cracked it open in a couple of months since its been cold and what not. Cracked it open, closed it, than did a full cycle open and shut. Except the stupid thing wouldn't shut. Took a look in the track and low and behold both side feed lips that push down the wind brake (screen or whatever) snapped off in the same locations. Apparently if those things break the roof will not close. Mind you it hasn't jumped out of the track or anything and it still attempts to push the wind break down when closing. Definitely not something you want to have happen in the winter with temps getting to low 20's and snow.....

Now I heard of people dropping the rear head liner and cranking the roof shut with an allen wrench or others just bagging it until they get the track replaced. I live pretty far from a dealer and I have no place to at least get the truck covered. So I decided to try it something out. I removed the wind brake. The fabric portion is just held in place by a clip lip the runs the whole front of the roof window. After those clips are released (literally just tug on them a little bit) the whole thing rocks out on the 2 spring like metal ramps. Now the roof closes all the way! So if any of you have this issue, and the widow hasn't jumped track, just remove the wind screen and the POS will shut! Literally only took me like 5 mins to get if off.

I was always worried that this day would come... and it has.. Crappy thing is it's not like an IF it happens, it's a WHEN will it happen.

image1.jpegimage0.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I've had my '19 for 2 years now and put 34k on her. Lubed and cleaned it about twice a year. I'd hear creaks and moans from it every now and than. Usually when it was cold or if I was off road. Today I started to hear a rattle in it. I hadn't cracked it open in a couple of months since its been cold and what not. Cracked it open, closed it, than did a full cycle open and shut. Except the stupid thing wouldn't shut. Took a look in the track and low and behold both side feed lips that push down the wind brake (screen or whatever) snapped off in the same locations. Apparently if those things break the roof will not close. Mind you it hasn't jumped out of the track or anything and it still attempts to push the wind break down when closing. Definitely not something you want to have happen in the winter with temps getting to low 20's and snow.....

Now I heard of people dropping the rear head liner and cranking the roof shut with an allen wrench or others just bagging it until they get the track replaced. I live pretty far from a dealer and I have no place to at least get the truck covered. So I decided to try it something out. I removed the wind brake. The fabric portion is just held in place by a clip lip the runs the whole front of the roof window. After those clips are released (literally just tug on them a little bit) the whole thing rocks out on the 2 spring like metal ramps. Now the roof closes all the way! So if any of you have this issue, and the widow hasn't jumped track, just remove the wind screen and the POS will shut! Literally only took me like 5 mins to get if off.

I was always worried that this day would come... and it has.. Crappy thing is it's not like an IF it happens, it's a WHEN will it happen.

View attachment 333667View attachment 333668
Glad you got it to close, that really sucks regardless.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the moonroof look great. it was on the 18' I got. I hear all these issues people have with them. is the problem that wide spread. Ive only used mine maybe 1 time in 3 years. obviously no issues since it never opens 36k miles on it. I better look into a little maintenance regardless.
Freaking ford thinks oh lets force these people to get moonroofs with it lumped into the tailgate package on the 22'. ****** me off. thats the one option I wanted to get rid of considering I never use it.

issaRaptor

Reaction score
I just bought my 18 used.. I would open it and hear a crack.. not even a week into having it.. one day it wouldn't close. After I finally got it to close it then wouldn’t open lol.. took it back to the dealer and they replaced the whole assembly ($3000 job) now I’m sending it till it breaks again (and I know it will) :)

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having issues with my sunroof on my 2018. It’s been going on for a while and it’s just getting worse. I’ve watched countless videos on cleaning the rubber and lubing everything. still driving down the road, it creeks and rattles non stop.
Anyone know of a fix? Ive taken it to the dealer and they have no clue what to do. It opens and closes fine. Just rattles like crazy.
Mine didn’t rattle, it just refused to close. All new rails $3,000 covered by aftermarket warranty. I tried cleaning and lubing before take it in and it didn’t help.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the moonroof look great. it was on the 18' I got. I hear all these issues people have with them. is the problem that wide spread. Ive only used mine maybe 1 time in 3 years. obviously no issues since it never opens 36k miles on it. I better look into a little maintenance regardless.
Freaking ford thinks oh lets force these people to get moonroofs with it lumped into the tailgate package on the 22'. ****** me off. thats the one option I wanted to get rid of considering I never use it.
Was one of the reasons I was hunting hard for a 21. Could get the pro power/tech package without a moonroof I’ll never open. No luck. Have a 22 on order. I still go back and forth whether to ditch the moonroof. Threads like these make me think harder about it

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the individual lil metal mounting tabs around the perimeter see if the screws are all tight

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Having issues with my sunroof on my 2018. It’s been going on for a while and it’s just getting worse. I’ve watched countless videos on cleaning the rubber and lubing everything. still driving down the road, it creeks and rattles non stop.
Anyone know of a fix? Ive taken it to the dealer and they have no clue what to do. It opens and closes fine. Just rattles like crazy.
I had the exact same issue with my 17' Lariat. You have to clean the and lube the rear gasket that goes around the roof and where the two panels meet. I cleaned the dirt and grit and then applied this. Just a thin bead and leave it to penetrate the rubber. The dealer was never able to fix my roof and this worked for me. Now I just do it on my Raptor every now and then.
ce-7e381db2f8f8_1.f3d2b9107c9d032d3924ce5a67f7cec0.jpg

Gatorjam

Reaction score
I had to replace the one on my 2015 Lariat and just recently had to on my 2018 Raptor. These things are definitely a real problem, Ford needs to do something about these for sure.