Gen 2 popping sound/backfire

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by RazorJ, Aug 27, 2017.

1. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

You think by now Ford would have improved on the IWEs.

2. Huck

Huck FRF Addict

RazorJ likes this.
  3. Huck

Huck FRF Addict

OP how did it turn out? Did replacing the vacuum solenoid fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RazorJ

RazorJ Member

So, yes, I've been driving it hard and the issue has gone away. I hope I haven't shortened the life of my hubs. I understand that a 6 cylinder and 10 speed transmission can have some rough spots in the power curve but that has improved greatly. Maybe resolution of a vacuum leak or the fact that I shifted to 91 octane fuel.
    What I perceived as a "back fire" were the hubs engaging, I think.
    Anyway, I'm happy and back in the honeymoon stage, I think.

Now if I can make the truck default into having the automatic engine shut down to off...

5. Panduh

Panduh Member

I have 400mi on my 2018 - did this on a road trip today. Coming off the highway to a stop light and it sounded like I kicked up a medium sized rock.

Let me know what the dealership tells you. I’d like to know what the solution is.

6. rabtech

rabtech Member

Mine has had both front hubs replaced. And its just started doing it again. The first hubs lasted 30,000 miles. The second set has been in there for 8,000 miles.

It isn't the vacuum switch up by the firewall . I replaced that because that was my first thought when it originally happened. It was just easier for me to get to it and change it to try at least to keep my raptor out of the service dept. That isn't help. So its going in for new hubs.

Funny thing is,,,, I have only had it in 4wd maybe 5 times since i bought it 2 years ago.

7. Huck

Huck FRF Addict

The truck pulls vacuum to keeps the hubs non-engaged. When you put it in 4x4 it releases the vacuum and engages the hubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Bajajt

Bajajt Member

I had a similar issue, took the dealer a few days to find, but it is a small vacuum valve on the drivers side at the fire wall, what I was told is the valve with vacuum hold the truck in 2 wheel drive, with not vacuum it trys to lock the front hubs, valve is like $15, as we are in Baja quite a bit, I bought on and carry it with my tools.