Gen 2 popping sound/backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RazorJ

Reaction score
So, sorry my first post is a problem. This is my first Ford. I got the Raptor in February and I absolutely love this truck. We have a lot of rough Forrest service roads here and it just eats them up.
7,000 miles. For the past 400 miles, with gentle acceleration up a hill, it would occasionally make a frying sound under the floorboard near my feet, followed by a loud pop/backfire, then it runs fine. It sounds like someone is sandblasting the bottom of the truck with gravel. It runs rough with this. I assumed I had a tank of bad gas so I finally got it down to 1/4 tank, then filled it up with premium. It's much worse now. It will do it on flat stretches and is very frequent. I'm taking it in Monday morning but wanted to see if you guys know of this issue before I talk to the dealer. I searched this site and didn't find it.
Thanks. I'll post up what the dealer comes up with

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the waste gate is sticking or a sensor is out preventing the waste gate from working properly.
The drivers side Turbo and waste gate is right there by your feet.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could be from the tech used to keep the turbos wound up. You'll hear that with all the new race cars with turbos. Lots of backfiring and grumblings coming form those cars this year....

OP
OP
R

RazorJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Hopefully it is not a big deal. I'm not getting any error messages on the dash. We will see what the service department come up with

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would use a camera to create the issue yourself and record it.

so, it sounds like a hissing or sandblasting, that is accompanied by poor running, then a pop, and then normal running?

I have to agree with the previous WAG, sounds like a sticky waste gate actuator.

You’ll hear a popping sound on a bike with a quick shifter, it cuts the ignition so you can do full throttle up shifts with no clutch. My bike pops if I’m on over about 60% throttle and up but that’s not quite the same as a car popping on decel, etc.

I vote for recreating the problem and getting it on audio/video. Then dealer.

Else, the dealer will take a 2 minute test drive, come back and report no problem found.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same thing. February build as well. I took a few videos but can't make it do it all the time .
Been this was for about 3 months.

I took a few videos also.
Get a back fire / cough with hesitation under WOT and sounds like gravel hitting under the truck.

Can't figure out how to upload the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RazorJ

Reaction score
So, They tell me it was a bad check valve on the IWE (integrated wheel ends) causing the front hubs to jump in and out of engagement. I guess the rough running was due to the vacuum leak vs having the front drive train suddenly engage. The thump was when it finally engaged. Parts will come in tomorrow so we will see if this is is. The grinding sound was the splines on the hubs trying to engage, I assume. I hope this didn't screw up my hubs. It seems like a bad thing to happen repeatedly at highway speeds. I was over an hour out in a rural area so I drove it home. I am a former Toyota guy so this is new to me. Strange.