GEN 2 Front Strut Weld Crack / Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dynosaur

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I’m wondering if you guys can help me on this problem I’m seeing on my truck. I don’t know if anyone else has it and what I should exactly do. 2018 Screw, 16,7XX Miles. I found the crack around 15,*** ish.

The strut tower weld connecting to the engine wall / firewall has a crack in it. The crack is rusted. The pictures I’m trying to post are a month old and of the passenger side. The driver side is not as bad, but starting also.

I don’t know if this is just a poor weld and needs a solid weld. I’ve heard it could be a structural issue and needs a new frame. Before I take it to a dealer, what do you guys think? Can you post pictures of yours for comparison? You can find the specific weld if you stand next to the front passenger wheel and the look under the bumper in front of the wheel towards the engine / strut tower.

Thanks!

00099A7B-5FF1-4581-85C2-9384481BBB90.jpeg

3173D109-2F48-4FE7-9BE7-13504EE1CC1E.jpeg

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Wow that is scary. Kinda weird it did not bond together. I just went and looked at mine and the welds are super smooth and linear yours looks like a student practicing with it all chunky. Also looks like the bucket absorbed the weld but the frame did not take it like they are dissimilar metals. I only have cursory knowledge of welding but looks like a shity weld to me. I’m sure it could be ground down and rewelded but I would be Leary of the rest now. Take it to a collision shop who works on frames that you trust and have them inspect the frame and document it.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, poor factory weld, no penetration on frame side, weld favored the bracket, you can see how the weld is wide and starts narrowing down, also raised, robots welding to fast. If you or a buddy could weld, you could grind it out , and put a good pass on it, but if your under warranty I would bring it to the dealer and have them submit pictures to ford, make them front the repair, cover your ass .