Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mccoy1132

Reaction score
Got the wrench symbol today and now truck wont shift lower than 3rd, even when coming to complete stop truck starts from 3rd gear. Recently had transmission filter and fluid changed at 150,000 miles, prior to that no problems. Any suggestions, ideas welcome.

OP
OP
mccoy1132

mccoy1132

Reaction score
What is lead frame? Or are you saying shes dying a slow death and now i need to replace transmission? Just replaced brakes all around including calipers on rear and also A/C evaporator.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is lead frame? Or are you saying shes dying a slow death and now i need to replace transmission? Just replaced brakes all around including calipers on rear and also A/C evaporator.
my first transmission went out and i was stuck between 3rd and 5th gear. my gauges would pin all the way right, and then go flat. airbag light, service advance track, trac control, all came on. was the lead frame. was replaced with a used transmission because insurance were cheap asses. had another incident due to the replacement and trans was replaced with ford reman. this time was stuck in 3rd and 5th only no other lights. turns out was a bad reman and was replaced by ford under warranty.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lead frame is a part inside the trans that has ports that open and close for fluid and has electronics inside it. been known to go bad. you can find aftermarket replacements online pretty cheap. apparently ford part is back order

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As above, some lead frames are covered under an extended warranty by Ford because of this issue. Check with your dealer to see if they can diagnos properly and if its free. Good chance it is (free for the lead frame).

OP
OP
mccoy1132

mccoy1132

Reaction score
just spoke to dealership and they claim that because truck has over 150,000 miles, actually 150,980, that the lead frame is no longer under warranty. They also said that although manual suggests filter and fluid change at 150,000 they tell customers that sometimes its best to leave well enough alone and not do the service as new fluid and filter tend to "stir things up" and could lead to other issues!! They further said that wait time to have a technician look at and diagnose is 21-28 days and since its out of warranty to take vehicle to a qualified transmission repair shop. If i didn't have bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all !!!!

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel you my friend. If there is one pile of dog crap in a field and me and a hundred others walk through the field I’ll be the one who steps in the dog crap.