GEN 2 Gas Octane Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Federal Government subsidizes the production of ethanol gasoline as a means of reducing dependency on foreign oil reserves, with the added benefit of ensuring demand for our corn crop. I'm not sure how much influence the individual states have over what they'll allow and what they won't allow. In Alabama, they run 10% ethanol. Unfortunately for us, the energy density of the gasoline-ethanol blend is lower than pure gasoline, thus our HP, Torque and gas mileage drops. Ethanol will also disassociate out of gasoline, becoming water over time, which everyone knows is not a good thing in your tank. Ethanol also tears the hell out of marine engines and things like lawn mowers, edgers and chain saws, as the alcohol destroys the gaskets and seals. Products like STA-BIL can help minimize the damage caused by ethanol gas.

You can go here to find a listing of non-ethanol gas stations in your area, though it's not updated nearly often enough to be truly reliable.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Good luck.

Thanks for the link. There are way more in MI then I realized and even in some places I frequent. Going to have to look into those spots. Also noticed that the Marinas are listed which I knew about because of my boat.

StrikerHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. There are way more in MI then I realized and even in some places I frequent. Going to have to look into those spots. Also noticed that the Marinas are listed which I knew about because of my boat.
Many of the stations in my area only have non-ethanol gas at one pump, or a single pump off to the side of the main pump islands. It almost becomes a game of hide and seek, or you could always just ask the damn attendant where they have it hidden.
Good hunting.

Lightman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ethanol attracts water, which is the main culprit of most issues. Pure Gas also has a phone app so you can locate ethanol free stations closest to you with your smartphone. There are a lot of these in Florida and they are usually called Rec fuel... many people use them for trailered boat or jet skis or various other toys. It is usually 90 octane in my experience which I think is designed to keep luxury car owners from just using it all the time despite the higher price... but that is just a wacky conspiracy theory :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it Pure Gabs by AutoLean?

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

I found it and downloaded it ignore previous post

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Ethanol attracts water, which is the main culprit of most issues. Pure Gas also has a phone app so you can locate ethanol free stations closest to you with your smartphone. There are a lot of these in Florida and they are usually called Rec fuel... many people use them for trailered boat or jet skis or various other toys. It is usually 90 octane in my experience which I think is designed to keep luxury car owners from just using it all the time despite the higher price... but that is just a wacky conspiracy theory :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LOL, no ethanol free gas for me within about a 50-60 mile radius.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a station less than a mile from me that has 4 pumps ethanol free, 93 octane. Costs a bit more than regular premium. I use it for lawn equipment and for an old car I've got that has carburetors.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amen to Ethanol Free !!! I loose a solid 2 mpg in my 2011 FX4 EB running the standard ethanol shit here in Alabama versus ethanol free of the same octane.

I've noticed 1 to 1.5 mpg better with the 91 ethanol free. From the few times I've had to get ethanol gas in my travels. Most of the stations around here are the 91 ethanol free version. Used to be able to get the mid-grade ethanol free but haven't seen that in a while due to cost from what I heard locally.