GEN 2 Gas Octane Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronniegilbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious what octane people are planning to use. I assumed I would use 87 but was just reading how you don't need higher octane gas in higher altitudes. I am over 5000 and wanted to know if anybody is using 85 octane in their Raptors over 5000. It would be nice to spend less given the 36 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It says in the owners manual that less than 87 octane is not recommended.

OP
OP
R

ronniegilbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I know that is the recommended octane but that is geared to most people living around sea level. Colorado is one of the few states that sell 85 octane gas because of the altitude and how cars here don't need the extra octane. Does anybody in Colorado or another high altitude state use the 85 instead of the recommended 87? Thanks.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
You're buying a $65K+ truck, don't skimp on the fuel. If the recommended fuel rating was 85, then it would be published on the filler cap and in the manual.

OP
OP
R

ronniegilbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that when I asked the question but asked anyway. I will probably start with the 87 just to not take any chances.

baja714

Reaction score
It says in the owners manual that less than 87 octane is not recommended.

Nice I was wondering about that myself. Normally with a turbocharged engine, you don't want to run anything less than 91.

Was that straight from a 2017 Raptor specific owners manual? Or just F-150?

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Nice I was wondering about that myself. Normally with a turbocharged engine, you don't want to run anything less than 91.

Was that straight from a 2017 Raptor specific owners manual? Or just F-150?

Just found a manual and confirmed for myself. Nice it says 87! Wasn't looking forward to switching back to 91 thats for sure