Funny conversation at my dealer...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banned
Reaction score
yeah me to.
Then i just give them a weird look and never go there again hahah

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
What I dont understand is what makes someone have to have certain brand oil. Do people go off of ads or someones elses opinion. Anyone have an answer for me? I will admit I like motorcraft synthetic blend because its cheaper then standard mineral oils. I change my oil every every three months or 3k so I dont see spemding money on full synthetic. I guess what gets me is there are only two or three plants that produce all motor oil for the companies then each company adds in there additives then sells it. Anyways Im done blabbing but can tell me what makes them choose there brand of oil.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I dont understand is what makes someone have to have certain brand oil. Do people go off of ads or someones elses opinion. Anyone have an answer for me? I will admit I like motorcraft synthetic blend because its cheaper then standard mineral oils. I change my oil every every three months or 3k so I dont see spemding money on full synthetic. I guess what gets me is there are only two or three plants that produce all motor oil for the companies then each company adds in there additives then sells it. Anyways Im done blabbing but can tell me what makes them choose there brand of oil.
Ever run a Blackstone test on any of your used oil? Its really interesting to see what's going on with the lifeblood of your engine, especially when its pushing some serious power and you've invested some serious coin to get it there.

In my experience, its not so much a brand thing, but rather a brand and engine thing. For example I've seen BrandA come up head and shoulders above BrandB in EngineX, but BrandB smoke BrandA in EngineY. What's even weirder, is now lets say you supercharge EngineX... sometimes all the sudden BrandB will prove every bit as good as BrandA. I have no idea why that seems to be true, but it happens a lot (I can make educated guesses, but that's all they'd be).

I haven't worried about it in the Raptor because I'm not pushing serious power and I don't have any money invested in hipo parts. If I ever change my mind and go FI or whatever, I'll definitely be getting my oil analyzed every 3k.

Here's their website by the way: Blackstone Labs

Banned
Reaction score
Well, no idea what brand I'll use in my ranger, but on my sled I always make sure I use whatever the manufacturer recommends. (which if course is their own brand)

What do you guys use? Why?

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Ever run a Blackstone test on any of your used oil? Its really interesting to see what's going on with the lifeblood of your engine, especially when its pushing some serious power and you've invested some serious coin to get it there.

In my experience, its not so much a brand thing, but rather a brand and engine thing. For example I've seen BrandA come up head and shoulders above BrandB in EngineX, but BrandB smoke BrandA in EngineY. What's even weirder, is now lets say you supercharge EngineX... sometimes all the sudden BrandB will prove every bit as good as BrandA. I have no idea why that seems to be true, but it happens a lot (I can make educated guesses, but that's all they'd be).

I haven't worried about it in the Raptor because I'm not pushing serious power and I don't have any money invested in hipo parts. If I ever change my mind and go FI or whatever, I'll definitely be getting my oil analyzed every 3k.

Here's their website by the way: Blackstone Labs

I know of the testing but havent been to there website. I have seen many charts on testing oilA vs B then add this can of maple syrup and its this much better. I have never done oil test with any of my personal things though.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know of the testing but havent been to there website. I have seen many charts on testing oilA vs B then add this can of maple syrup and its this much better. I have never done oil test with any of my personal things though.
LOL screw that maple syrup, go with molasses!

No doubt there's a ton of hand waving and blind faith goin on with brands of motor oil. I guess I'm just saying in certain cases, some science does apply and might help explain loyalty to a particular brand.

jonny585

Reaction score
I was standing at my Dealership's parts desk last Saturday looking for some of those mini circuit breaker fuses our AUX 1 + 2 switches use.

The tech came over to the parts desk all flustered because a guy with a 2011 Mustang wanted to use Mobil 1 in his rig rather than the Ford Motorcraft oil. They apparently didn't have the Mobil 1 in the correct weight and were closing soon.

The parts guy told him he couldn't get it because the supplier they get it from was closed. He told the tech to have the guy come back Monday. The tech went to the customer and told him they didn't have the oil and he would have to come back.

In the dealer's defense, apparently the guy showed up without an appointment and asked for oil they didn't normally stock.

The tech comes back over and said the guy wanted it done today and asked what other types of synthetic oil they might have. The parts guy said "all we have is the Motorcraft oil, if he wants something else he has to come back"

I'm just standing there the whole time waiting patiently and these guys had no idea what to tell the guy. They're going back and fourth and stopped to listen when I interrupted them and said:

"Why don't you just tell the guy using anything besides the Ford Motorcraft oil in the recommended weight could void his engine warranty"

The tech starts laughing and looks at me and says "Do you want a job?"

lol, they could sense I was getting impatient and incorporating some dealership BS was the way to go. Thought you guys would get a kick out of that.

Hahahahaha, thats some funny chit!!!!