Full size spare is not balanced so beware.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just sold a 2001 Honda Accord after 17 years, to buy my Raptor.

It only saw the dealer one time, for that airbag recall. 6 months after the dealer touched the car, the airbag computer went bad, throwing lights on the dash. The Honda dealer wanted $1,600 to repair it. I found a used computer for $24 in a junkyard, and it worked.

I never ever go back to any dealership.

I tend to agree here. I bought my truck and an explorer both at the same time. Dealer was all proud they include free service for 2 years. Wow...dyno oil change and tire rotation 2x for each car.

Anyway, they keep calling me about cars being due for 1st service. They wont get the hint. I dont want a dealer to touch my car unless it is broken and fixed under warranty.

I do tire rotations and oil changes my self so I know they are done correctly.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't confirmed it personally, but several posters have reported that the tool is unnecessary to reprogram the tire location. Move them and after five minutes of driving, the truck figures it out.

Even if it doesn't, the procedure without the tool is pretty easy, just need to be ready to recomp the air you let out.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't confirmed it personally, but several posters have reported that the tool is unnecessary to reprogram the tire location. Move them and after five minutes of driving, the truck figures it out.

I'm not having that luck. Installed my new wheels Saturday and after going back and forth to work this week, I'm at 125 miles and still no re-learn. Guess I'll try the owner's manual method or buy that TPMS tool. Gen 2 btw.

I rotate my tires every other oil change, I change oil every 3000 - 3500 miles, so tires get rotated every 6000 - 7000 miles, the truck has 22k+ on it so three past rotations closing in on fourth. I have never taught the vehicle where a tire is, the truck has always figured it out for itself, after fewer than 5 miles drive. The truck is a 2018 SCREW 802A/tech.

And, to add to the original comment in the thread, my spare was balanced from the factory, although no TPMS, of course. I have added a second spare (on the principal of "if you need one, you need two"), and now both spares have TPMS.

T!

Shogunn of Panama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rotate my tires every other oil change, I change oil every 3000 - 3500 miles, so tires get rotated every 6000 - 7000 miles, the truck has 22k+ on it so three past rotations closing in on fourth. I have never taught the vehicle where a tire is, the truck has always figured it out for itself, after fewer than 5 miles drive. The truck is a 2018 SCREW 802A/tech.

T!

I think my issue is that I have brand new TPMS sensors on my new wheels that the truck has never talked to. I’ve never had an issue either when rotating OEMs.

Also, the owner’s manual method to relearn hasn’t been successful for me. I continue to get the double honk when staring on the left front deflation. I just purchased the tool from Amazon that someone was kind enough to list on here for us.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I got the new TPMS sensor installed in the spare. Put it on the right rear. I can confirm, the TPMS tool was not needed. Drove for 10 miles, and the new sensor was picked up by the truck.

I went ahead and did the relearn process anyway, just to make sure.

Swamp Fox

Reaction score

And, to add to the original comment in the thread, my spare was balanced from the factory, although no TPMS, of course. I have added a second spare (on the principal of "if you need one, you need two"), and now both spares have TPMS.

T!
Where do you put the second spare tire?

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... working in the spare during rotation.

What is the pattern? Do you start early... say 2500 miles to get it in rotation before the others have 5000 miles on them (or whatever your interval is)?

When I’m doing 4 wheels, it’s always been... fronts drop straight back, and rears cross moving to the front.

With 5 wheels are we just going in a circle?

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... working in the spare during rotation.

What is the pattern? Do you start early... say 2500 miles to get it in rotation before the others have 5000 miles on them (or whatever your interval is)?

When I’m doing 4 wheels, it’s always been... fronts drop straight back, and rears cross moving to the front.

With 5 wheels are we just going in a circle?
113e8391bf6d541985f44edda35967ec.jpg
From tire rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
So I got the new TPMS sensor installed in the spare. Put it on the right rear. I can confirm, the TPMS tool was not needed. Drove for 10 miles, and the new sensor was picked up by the truck.

I went ahead and did the relearn process anyway, just to make sure.
What happens to the TMPS sensor in whatever is the spare you are not using? Does the truck recognize it is not being used and not show it?