Fuel Pump Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TRUCK WON'T START!!! Cranks, but doesn't appear to be getting fuel. Tank is full. Followed instruction manual by putting peddle to the floor and cranking. Followed instruction manual for resetting fuel pump cutoff (turn ignition on and off several times). Didn't work either. I now the pump is on fuse #8, but it is the large sealed type and i don't know how to check 'em. Does anyone have any ideas?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take it to the dealership (well, tow it in). If the fuse blew there's a problem and if it didn't there's a problem anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted...

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Don't start messing with it too much because dealers get all freaky sometimes if you have been tampering with anything. They could always say that something you did caused more damage and not warranty everything.

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use a continuity tester to check the fuse. Or a AAA battery, flashlight bulb and wire.

Frivol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this actully happen with my 03. it turns out the battery in the key had died. it was the spare key i had kept hidden in my truck and hadnt used it in a while. lo and behold when i needed it, it didnt work. just fyi

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is also a fuel pump relay... the relay they gave you in the glove box for the trailer tow charge circuit is the same kind. It's under the hood in the box over the radiator.

OP
OP
FlounderStalker

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this actully happen with my 03. it turns out the battery in the key had died. it was the spare key i had kept hidden in my truck and hadnt used it in a while. lo and behold when i needed it, it didnt work. just fyi

I ran outside with my second key, but that didn't work either. Thanks anyway.

Is the fuel pump inside the tank or inside the black plastic box mounted on the frame rail just in front of the tank? Either way, i don't hear the fuel pump running when the key is on or the truck is cranking.

OP
OP
FlounderStalker

FlounderStalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - She's going to the shop on Tuesday. I have heard that the wrecker must load the Raptor on a flat bed - can't be towed. Is that typical for all 4wd vehicles, or is that specific to the Raptor? Am I gonna have to argue with the tow truck company about it, or are they gonna know what to do?

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Flat bed only. Every car/truck is "unique" in that regard. Flat bed's are best for all vehicles.

Call Ford Roadside assistance and they should ensure that only a flatbed comes out. And the towing should be free.