Something (fuel pump?) stays running after engine shutdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have had this problem a few times before, the first time it happened I ignored it and came out a few hours later to a dead battery. After shutting off the truck something stays running near the fuel tank, I assume it's the fuel pump but i'm not a mechanic. Turning the ignition on for a few seconds then off again makes it stop and saves me from a jump start. Anyone else had this problem or know what it might be? Taking it in to the dealer when I can get off my lazy a$$ to do it but wanted to ask here first. Video: Link to the video - turn sound up

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure sounds like the in-tank fuel pump. Likely a bad fuel pump relay.
Would this situation produce a DTC? If so which DTC module code should I be looking for as I have a bunch from the low battery event mentioned below?

I also had a low battery voltage event in January, so I charged the battery and resecured the battery terminals because the truck had recently had a door wiring harness replaced. Also ran the truck into the dealer to have battery checked and it tested fine.

A couple days ago I noticed a electrical motor sound coming from the truck more than an hour after shutting it off. Because of the previous battery issue I immediately checked the battery voltage on the settings menu & it was 11.5v. Later & in the past I have noticed that the truck will not awaken, when I walk past with the key, if the voltage is in the 11.5v range.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it stay running after engine shut off?

Or does it stay on permanently?

Mine and a buddies truck do the exact same thing sometimes, occasionally for a couple seconds to a few minutes after shut off.

I’m at 7,000 miles though and zero issues or DTC codes

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long does it stay running after engine shut off?

Or does it stay on permanently?

Mine and a buddies truck do the exact same thing sometimes, occasionally for a couple seconds to a few minutes after shut off.

I’m at 7,000 miles though and zero issues or DTC codes
As I mentioned in my post above it was on for at least an hour and it shut off after I key cycled to check the battery voltage. I imagine if it stays on it will completely drain the battery!

I've tuned out some of the noises because every time you walk by with your keys the truck wakes and makes noises. But I'm on alert now so will be paying more attention.

OP
OP
leinad1904

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer and the guy said it's probably some emissions device back there that does some kind of cleaning cycle sometimes after the engine turns off. It has killed my battery twice in 10k miles. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with the truck...

Erjdrvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealer and the guy said it's probably some emissions device back there that does some kind of cleaning cycle sometimes after the engine turns off. It has killed my battery twice in 10k miles. Dealer says there is nothing wrong with the truck...
What....sounds like more Ford dealer service dept BS!