FRONT SHAFT LOCKED IN 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2012 ford raptor and the front 4 wheel drive shaft coming from the transfer case is always locked. Even in 2wd … I changed out the transfer case motor but it’s still locked. I know with all wheel drive vehicles it stays locked but I mine is not all wheel drive. Can anyone tell me
If the front drive shaft should be locked or spin freely …

Thank you

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have any 4x4 warning messages in the Instrument Cluster? If not, the transfer case is most likely working properly.

These truck are equipped with vacuum actuated hub locks (IWEs). When the truck is running in 2WD, vacuum is applied to the hub collars, disengaging them from the wheel hubs. This allows the front driveshaft and axles to remain stationary while driving in 2WD. After the truck is shut off and vacuum bleeds down, the IWEs will re-engage due to the return springs. So if you’re checking it with the vehicle off, it’s normal for the front driveshaft to be engaged.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
It’s the 4x4 shaft from the transfer case im referring to …. The IWE’s are working fine.. I just replaced the entire front suspension… it’s the front drive shaft that I’m wondering if stays locked all of the time

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It’s the 4x4 shaft from the transfer case im referring to …. The IWE’s are working fine.. I just replaced the entire front suspension… it’s the front drive shaft that I’m wondering if stays locked all of the time

Like the man said, are you checking the drive shaft with the engine running? I assume "all the time" means yes, but you can't tell with folks these days. :)

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s with the truck running and in 2wd still locked ….
Then you either have an IWE system issue (large vacuum leak, failed solenoid or solenoid circuit, faulty TCCM) or the transfer case is stuck in 4WD. If the driveline doesn’t bind when going around turns, it’s not likely that it’s stuck in 4WD. I recommend seeing if DTCs are stored in the TCCM using ForScan.

Reaction score
I have a 2012 ford raptor and the front 4 wheel drive shaft coming from the transfer case is always locked. Even in 2wd … I changed out the transfer case motor but it’s still locked. I know with all wheel drive vehicles it stays locked but I mine is not all wheel drive. Can anyone tell me
If the front drive shaft should be locked or spin freely …

Thank you
Did you ever figure this issue out?