Front end squeak after new shock install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeedRaptor

Reaction score
I just finished the aFe Sway-away shocks and they are great. I have noticed that I am getting a Front end squeak after new shock installation. It is on sharp bumps and is a metal sounding chirp or squeak from either front suspension area. What could this be? I have not torn back into it to find out yet but wanted to ask the experts here to see if there is any common area to check after a shock installation.

thanks

IMG_6318.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you torque the lower shock bolt with the weight of the truck on it?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its more than that, its over 400 ft/lbs unless those shocks specifically require different specs. Hopefully it's not the shaft seal making that noise.
Nice looking Raptor!

nipplesNchowder

Reaction score
Are your coils compressing in a nice straight line?

I ask because when I changed my shocks (stock to stock) I made the horrible mistake of putting the top hats in wrong and it was definitely squeaking. Maybe just jack up under the control arm and spectate how it compresses

Last edited:

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you check the shock bodies for clearance. Did you adjust more preload into the coils? sounds like a coil bind onto the body, so id check for wear spots. There really arent many spots for the stock suspension components to make that noise unless something is seriously installed incorrectly.